How Bad Is The Officiating This Year?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Rottstein, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

There have been a lot of stirrings on how bad the officiating has been this year.
    • Pass interference flag picked up on Brady to Gronk on last play of game.
    • The wrong down debacle of Redskins/Giants game.
    • No call on Tomlin interfering on run back against Ravens.
    • Lots more, but I will let you folks throw some other bad calls out there and opine on them!

How bad do you think this compares to an average year? Are they worse then the replacement refs from the strike? They might be!

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't think they are any worse than any other year...

3. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I agree with Ward.
    As long as we have a human element there will always be mistakes.If the league stopped messing with the rules it might help a bit!

4. BU54

BU54 1st Stringer

It depends on wether your team was screwed out of the win or not? :icon_cheesygrin:

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Good point...:icon_cheesygrin:

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

There hasn't been a game-winning interception this year, so no...they're not worse than the replacement refs.

7. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Refs will always blow calls. What gets me is that they clearly show bias toward some teams

8. BU54

BU54 1st Stringer

And even after some reviews where it's clear they still make the wrong call.
    The biggest BS call I see these days is the "process of the catch" :icon_frown:

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

If ever there was a year I'd cut the refs some slack, this is it. With all the rule changes this year, esp. on defense, IMO they're part of the learning curve as well.

10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

But the cowboys have never been one of those teams.
    within the next few years,changes to the instant replay system is bound to take a lot of the crapty calls out of the game,especially when the replay rules are changed.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yeah that one kills me the most. I still don't understand exactly what defines a catch going to the ground and what doesn't. I feel like that's at least some of the problem with the refereeing as well, the rules are getting so convoluted that I don't think they all have a 100% firm and consistent grasp of them either. The most important aspect of refereeing IMO is applying the rules in a consistent fashion, even moreso than making the "right" call. If you're going to make a crap call at least make the same crap call every time it happens and not just every now and then.

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

so many stupid gray areas and rules interpetation when it comes to rules that the competition committme needs to clear up this off season. If technology is here,why not use it?