Some Bengals Players Glad To See Jay Gruden Go

Discussion in 'Cincinnati Bengals' started by 86WARD, Jan 12, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

They're not quite shouting "good riddance" in Cincinnati with the departure of offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, the new Washington head coach. But there definitely are some players, team officials and fans (perhaps even a few assistants), who felt that, for all the positives Gruden brought to the Bengals offense, he frequently was too enamored of the passing game and sacrificed some degree of balance. In just three of 17 games, including last week's wild card defeat, did the Cincinnati offense have more run than pass plays. Of the team's 1,176 snaps, only 43 percent were running plays. In the passing-skewed NFL, that's not outrageous, but it's still a bit lopsided.

Source: National Football Post

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

oh, i don't know if his run/pass mix was wrong. i don't have a problem with his play calling. i have more of a problem with his inability to develop andy dalton. maybe dalton is what he is and no one could get any more out of him, though.

Aussie61 likes this.
  3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

In the 2011 NFL Draft, Mike Brown wanted Kaep, and Gruden wanted Dalton. Gruden won. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Kaep was in Cincy and Dalton was in SF.

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Kaep would suck and Dalton would be good.

Omen likes this.
  5. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I joined GIF before Jay Gruden was hired (so this isn't a homer remark). I still to this day don't understand why people think he didn't develop Dalton.

Year 1. Everyone said Dalton wasn't capable and would fail. He didn't
    Year 2. The expected Sophomore slump, didn't really happen, he kept being good
    Year 3. He set career highs in his numbers

Yes I agree Dalton hasn't won a playoff coach, but that isn't Jay's fault only. That is on all the coaching and most importantly Dalton himself.