Jadeveon Clowney At No. 1; Are You Kidding Me?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by TheChampa, Apr 16, 2014.

1. TheChampa

TheChampa Rookie

I love this time of year as a NFL football fan. As the draft approaches I get to see which teams rise up and which teams fall on their face. Every year picks are wasted on players that never reach their full potential. And many times, the #1, 2, or 3 pick is that player. […]

Read the whole post here.

2. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

This is stupid

3. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

4. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

Starts by saying "look at the facts" then names a bunch of non quantifiable things. Hard worker, bad attitude, bad upbringing are all things that you cant place fact or fiction on.

He didnt want to risk injury all year. Is that so crazy?? Look at Aaron Colvin who tore his ACL at the Senior Bowl or Brandon Thomas who tore his ACL during a private workout. Both guys were round 2 projected and now will be end of the draft guys. Clowney wanted to ensure he is healthy. Seems smarter than most in that sense.

Also, does this guy actually watch game tape?? I highly doubt it. His game tape shows the number of double teams he got. All the help from RBs chipping him out of the backfield. So his stats dont reflect. If you are scouting with stats, you already are bad at what you do.

And how are you going to say he has a bad attitude but not have any examples of his bad attitude?? "Although it never officially came out, it was obvious Steve Spurrier had discipline issues with Clowney." This is idiotic and unprofessional to completely fabricate issues.

This site should be ashamed to have even allowed this article to go on their website.

Aussie61 likes this.
  5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Don't think I'd go so far as to say the article shouldn't be posted, but I do think that @LitesOut13 makes some valid points. Clowney's knock as a discipline problem, taking plays off and the like are pretty much second hand information introduced to us by the media. There is absolute noquestion that defenses game planned for him in year two and two or three blockers on Clowney was the norm. The day Spurrier comes out and says that Clowney was lazy in practice, didn't give it the efforts he should have and will be a chronic problem moving forward then maybe there could be cause for concern. Because of what Clowney can potentially bring to the field of play in the NFL I'm guessing the person to be fired will be the GM that has the opportunity to draft him and doesn't.

Aussie61 likes this.
  6. Buck Fenson

So, you think he will live up to his hype? To read some things about him he will have 50 sacks this season. Just to play devils advocate here, what if he built up all this hype in the hopes of making the number one overall pick him to get that big contract. Well, big contract for someone like me anyway. And then tanks. Just glides along. I have see it happen before and will again. I am just saying that he shouldn't be a lock at number one. Or maybe he should. I don't give a freak about the Texans. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Nawrockiesque unbased hack sensationalism.

8. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

It depends on where the smoke is coming from,usually at this time of year it's from teams trying to make a player fall to them.All these so called character issues,he didn't shoot anyone,he didn't rape anyone,he's just "lazy".I don't see him having problems in a NFL locker room,the veteran players will put a size 10 up his rear if he gets lazy.If he was to fall to the Vikings at #8 I would be ecstatic!

9. markaz

I'm sure as hell not going to knock him if he purposely kicked back. He had a front row seat watching teammate Marcus Lattimore, a potential No.1 overall pick, drop to the fourth round because of a destroyed knee. Imagine all the crap Clowney would have taken had one of his knees gotten blown out. The same media dipcraps finding faults with Clowney would have crucified him for not declaring after his sophomore year.
    So now his love of the game, work ethic, on-field production and maturity are the big questions. If I didn't know better I'd think I was reading the exact same pre-draft BS surrounding Julius Peppers. If Clowney is as lucky as Peppers and gets quality coaching from O'Brien and D-Line coach Bill Kollar, he should more than live up to the No.1 pick. All I know is that I wouldn't want to be the GM that passed on Clowney.

Aussie61 likes this.
  10. Buck Fenson

you have a point there. I have seen the other side before and it can really hurt a team if you miss on that pick. If he does do well in the league then the Texans would have a sick pair of ends. And going by just measurables and the fact that there is not a consensus franchise qb in the draft then yes, he should be the overall pick. I forgot about Lattimore. That would make someone take pause. They should probably draft him in the first and then draft Mez in the second round.

markaz likes this.
  11. 86WARD

86WARD -

Article is a little shaky IMO as well.

12. markaz

Roger that. A major reason that Clowney has a better than average chance of excelling should he land in Texas.....JJ Watt. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that teams may be forced to employ a 2-back set to keep both of those animals off of their QB's. The potential problems created by having Watt on the other side could have opposing O-Coordinators losing a little sleep the night before kickoff. Or Clowney could suck. We shall see.

Aussie61 likes this.
  13. Buck Fenson

imagine dictating the offense some team can run with that defense. keep people in to chip. got to keep things quick and short. Or just run the ball a lot. See how he can take the pounding. Just glad that it isn't the Saints picking.

14. Harryaxel

Harryaxel Rookie

Where does he even play on that Texans def? OLB? 3-4 DE? I just don't see the fit here. Now if they moved to a 4-3 and moved JJ to DT and put Clowney beside him I see problems all day long.

15. markaz

Excellent question!! I'm under the assumption that Clowney would play OLB and that between Crennel and Kollar they would design schemes the same way that teams like the Giants (Lawrence Taylor) and the Chiefs (Derrick Thomas) did. Crennel is definitely a 3-4 guy, but I just don't see Clowney in a traditional DE role. Clowney lining up right next to Watt....very interesting.

Aussie61 likes this.
  16. Buck Fenson

that is another reason I don't think he should be the first pick. he would probably just be a pass rusher playing the run to the qb. but he could be an olb in a 3-4 and be strictly a pass rusher. I doubt he could cover a top notch back or tight end.

17. Harryaxel

Harryaxel Rookie

All I'm saying is everyone says Clowney has to go first because he's that good. I don't see him as a huge fit for their scheme. If I was the texans I would be on the phone with a team like ATL trying to get offers and draft someone I'm more comfortable with that's all. Now that being said if they believe he can stand up and play OLB and they believe it is a huge need then go get him. But the team needs more help than just a pass rusher at this point.

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Why doesn't Clowney fit in a 34? @Buck Fenson, why do you feel he wouldnt be able to cover?

19. Buck Fenson

He didn't do much of that in college. Not like he will be asked to do in the pros. Coverage is also about repetition and he is not as polished as others. But that is because he can blow up the backfield most of the time. I just don't see it working as well as people think. But hey, what the freak do I know? Just putting my comments out there like everyone else and we will see who is right and who is wrong. Knowing my luck, I will be the one eating crow.

20. markaz

What scheme? They overhauled the entire coaching staff with the exception of one or two. Maybe Clowney will be part of a new scheme. Who knows. It's all a crapshoot.

Aussie61 likes this.