2014 Fantasy Football: Is Drew Brees New No. 1 QB Choice?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by aschmidt, Jun 13, 2014.

1. aschmidt

aschmidt 2nd String

There has been a lot of discussion over the past couple of weeks on various websites about who the No. 1 quarterback for fantasy football will be during the 2014 season. It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that Peyton Manning was going to lead the list and could even be a first-round pick in fantasy drafts this summer. There is a growing wave of activity though that is pushing Drew Brees up draft boards to a point where he is now growing picked before Manning in some leagues and with experts as well. A look at the numbers shows that Brees threw for just […]

Read the whole post here.

2. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Brees and Manning seem to be the most prolific and consistent quarterbacks in league history, but banking on Manning to reach 55 touchdown passes again is insane. If you decide to draft a QB like Brees in the first round, or even early second, you are banking on top 3 production and putting yourself at a considerable disadvantage when considering the value @ the QB position. Last year, only 23 points separated the eighth ranked quarterback from the fourteenth ranked quarterback. 30 points separated third from eighth. This tells you there wasn't a lot of distance between a capable every week starting quarterbacks. So what the hell does that mean? If you draft a quarterback say in the 4th or 5th round, the more value you have gained by selecting players from other positions to fill valuable roster spots.

3. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

can you enlighten me on how most leagues score? I heard it is based on yards and touchdowns. Since coming to the Saints, he has thrown for less than 4400 yards once, and that was missed by 12 yards. and he averages 35 tds a season.

4. aschmidt

aschmidt 2nd String

While your point is well taken Kurt, the dropoff in my opinion after Brees, Manning, Rodgers and Stafford is too big for my liking. If I don't get one of those top four, I don't feel comfortable with my team overall. It is more key than ever to focus on a top-flight QB early in the draft. Yes Buck, it is based on yards and touchdowns and the point system that each league has. Brees has a much easier schedule than Manning this season and people are finally seeing that myself included.

Buck Fenson likes this.
  5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Stafford? The drop off happens well before Stafford.

Aussie61 likes this.
  6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Staffprd does put up some numbers, be it garbage time or trying to come from behind, so according to the system, that is all you need. Now if it also went by wins, that would be a different story.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Here's the thing though...Manning and Brees were leaps and bounds above the rest. Stafford was just mixed in with that next tier. Rodgers is normally up there as well but he was injured for a good bit if I am remembering correctly.

[​IMG]

Kurt likes this.
  8. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I had Brees in my league last year and would happily pick him again.if not for Manning having an insanely unpredictable year Brees would have been a steal since I got him in the 2nd round.
    Luck is the sleeper this year,3rd year is when QBs usually start to shine.

Kurt likes this.
  9. Kurt

I'd rather that Luck and Stafford in the 4th and 5th - and use my 1st and 2nd pick on top tier RB and WR - then rotate my QB based on schedule..=) little more work, but pans out

10. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I hear you Kurt. My issue is that the winner of my league for the past 4 years, has always had either Brees, Manning or Rodgers. and using their 1st rounder on them. I am not saying I am going to be taking either this year, in fact I am leaning towards going WR, WR, RB, RB, QB this year.

I also think it makes a huge difference if a passing TD is 6 points or 4 points.

11. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Both are good picks only thing that would make me take brees over peyton is peytons age.

12. Kurt

Hell ya scoring format makes a huge difference ...

13. Jandy

Jandy Rookie

The QB pool is deep this year, after the top 3. I would be very happy getting two top tier RB's or WR's or one of each and a decent QB in round 4 or 5 when I'm safe at the others. For that matter WR's will be kind of deep as well so my strategy will be WR, RB, RB, WR, QB

14. SNPokc

SNPokc DEZ NUTS 2016 Premium Member

I wouldn't get locked into the idea of drafting WR first. It always depends on where your pick lies. Beginning of the first, no way, middle, possibly, end more likely. You can't go into a draft with a set formula, you have no idea what the other players will do. Take the best available player, especially early.

Aussie61 and Kurt like this.
  15. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Between Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, & Aaron Rodgers, I really don't think there is a wrong answer between those three if you draft one of them in the 1st round of your fantasy draft. A good chunk of my drafts last year, I didn't draft a QB until the 4th or 5th round though. I'm normally all for taking a RB in the 1st round but if you're picking towards the end of the 1st round, than yeah, I say take the best player available.

Aussie61 likes this.