Lionel Messi, Jerry West and the gut-wrenching uselessness of the individual accolade

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by SportsChump, Jul 22, 2014.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

The World Cup is finally over much to the chagrin of soccer fans that eat, drink and breathe the sport but much to the enjoyment of Americans who still can’t grasp concepts like offside and stoppage play. (Think outside the box, people!)

I watched the conclusion of the final game as a dejected Leo Messi received the World Cup’s Golden Ball, the tournament’s MVP award. His Argentina team had just suffered a crushing defeat to Germany minutes earlier yet his time had come to be individually honored.

While watching Messi accept the award, I couldn’t help but think of Jerry West.

Follow along at: http://sportschump.net/2014/07/22/l...nching-uselessness-individual-accolade/14117/

2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

That was the FIFA's way to apologize to Argentina, not becomming the world champion ;)

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

If that's the case, I hope they brought Brazil's team something nice.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Must be. There has been way better players during the tournament. For Argentina, I would say it was Romero, with his 2 savings at the penalty shootout vs. the Netherlands.
    Anyway, giving an award to a member of the loosing team, after the finals, always leaves a bitter taste imo. Maybe the should annouce it before the game starts

5. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Personally I thought Muller should have won it.

ollysj likes this.
  6. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Good choice :D