Bears Fine, Suspend TE Martellus Bennett After Fight With Rookie CB Kyle Fuller

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DaBears22, Aug 5, 2014.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Chicago Bears tight end Martellus Bennett was fined and suspended for conduct detrimental to the team after the veteran was involved in a fight at practice Monday with rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller, general manager Phil Emery announced Tuesday.

Emery did not specify the length of the suspension nor disclose the amount of the fine.

"Last night, we made a decision to fine and suspend Martellus Bennett for an undetermined length of time," Emery said. "This is a process that we're working with Martellus. We are in contact with him.

"Our goal is to have Martellus back as soon as possible. He's a very loved and respected teammate. We want him back, but it's a process we have to work through."

Bennett was absent from Tuesday's workout, and Emery said the tight end is not with the team at training camp on the campus of Olivet Nazarene University. He will remain on the active roster, Emery said, "but he will not be involved in any team activities at this time."

"I have been in contact with Phil," Bennett's agent, Kennard McGuire, said in a statement. "We will keep those discussions between us. Martellus looks forward to rejoining his teammates."

Source: ESPN

2. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Yeah bro that's real smart, body slamming a first round pick after a 'routine play'.

3. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Sounds like the play with fuller was kinda just the last straw. His attitude has gotten him in some hot water before. Plus the interview he did after the incident about how he can asked a fine didn't help. The bears are just hoping this serves as an attitude adjustment.

DaBearsrule4ever likes this.
  4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Fuller isn't innocent though in this instance. It looked like Fuller pretty much grabbed Bennett by the face mask and took him down. Maybe got him by the front of the jersey. Could've hurt Bennett bad from what I saw. Bennett took Fuller down a similar way.

But yeah, sounds like this was a little more than a suspension for a "practice fight." Consistent annoyance is what I hear.

But here, the Fuller take down was uncalled for IMO. I would've expected Bennett to do the same...if not more.

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Everything I've heard was that it was maybe uncalled for, but Bennett way overreacted. I heard a couple player interviews too and they pretty much backed fuller.

6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

read the comments at the bottom. Holy Crap.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Funny...I heard opposite. Willie McGinest said he would've done more damage to Fuller...lol. Heath Evans said the same.

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yesterday there was a fight in Cowboys camp between Dez Bryant and JJ Wilcox.

Garrett said "no big deal"

9. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

there is fights in every camp not a big deal

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Exactly...which leads everyone to believe there was more to the suspension.

Steve12 likes this.
  11. WC Jerome

WC Jerome The poster formerly known as 'MK'!!

Personally, I thought Fuller deserved some sort of punishment, as well.

12. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

He got body slammed by a Hoss. Thats punishment enough

13. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Looked like he took lessons from The Hulkster.

14. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Looks like Marty B. is doing the same thing in Chicago as he did in Dallas.

15. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Some coaches like fights in practice, some coaches don't and the Bears have a head coach that does not. Hopefully Bennett takes this as a lesson learned.