Draft strategy?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by Goskins1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Goskins1

Goskins1 Feb-21-16 Premium Member

My draft is in 2 weeks and I have pick 11 this year. The scoring system is a bit different than most. It is designed to be WR heavy. With the late pick i figured I would go D Thomas/Dez Bryant/AJ Green with first pick and come back around with B Marshall or Jordy Nelson. Try for RB in round 3 and 4 and wait til later rounds for TE and QB. (The top 3 QB will be gone in first round) Make sense? Any other suggestions? Thanks for the input.

2. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Wow at 12 points per TD for WR/TE you really do want to spend your top two picks on WR and I like your pick 11 to make this happen. Have you drafted with these guys before? Can you tell how many WR were off the board by pick 11 last year?

3rd Round RB probably but it depends on whats out there... if you wait until rd 4/5 in favor of a stud WR/TE that dropped to round three, just make sure you'll have options in rounds 4 / 5 at RB.. this is dependent on how many WR/QB/TE are coming off the board. I would consider Julius Thomas here.. not Gronk or any other TE - Jimmy will obviously already be drafted.

7/8th round TE - Dennis Pitta
    8th/9th round sleeper pick WR = Kelvin Benjamin, - 8/10 TD isn't out of the question but temper yard and catch expectations.
    8th/9th round sleeper pick RB = Jeremy Hill - goal line back for CIN - could even get 10 to 15 touches per game

3. Goskins1

Last year I want to say 3 wr were taken...I want d thomas but ill take dez...if those 3 are somehow gone (calvin included) would aj green be ideal at 11? For some reason i really like jordy nelson at 14 over marshall...and were u refering julius thomas in 4/5 round?

4. Kurt

if Julius Thomas is available the late third, which is when you're picking, then yes take him.. he's probably going to be the best bet for 10+ TD's still on the draft board. His current ADP is late third rnd too.. With Eric Decker gone and Thomas in a contract year, the sky is the limit....

Use your cheat sheets, print our each position and go to town.. if AJ is next on the list of WR and that's your best play at the moment then do it.

In the video below, replace "big board" with "cheat sheet" - and replace "power rating" with value" - same concepts -

draft the position which has the largest drop off in points at "next value" - this ensure you don't wait on a position when it's replacement value (next value) is much lower than the other possible position.

example:

John RB - Value 60 - ADP 20 - Next Value 20 ADP 34 (the replacement value for John RB is minus 40 - see that?)

Jim WR - Value 40 - ADP 21 - Next Value 36 ADP 36 (the replacement value for Jim WR is minus 4 - see that?)

This means draft John RB - because the next guy that you'll be looking at is projected to score 40 points less... where as at Jim WR, you can have someone that will score nearly as many points but is available a full round later!

5. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

Take the answers Kurt said, but here is my stance on it as well:

I can see why only a few receivers get drafted since you only lose 2 points per touchdown for quarterbacks and running backs. It really depends on who's left when you pick. You could go receiver first and then see which running back is left compared to receiver. If someone like Forte falls, and you already have a receiver, I'd snag him in the second (Especially since you get .5 per PPR). Since you have the late pick, keep in mind that the running back pool by the 3rd is going to be pretty light by then. If you start out with a top receiver and then a top running back, you have yourself covered to start taking the best player available left from TE/WR (mainly tight end)

Bryant
    Forte
    BPA Tight End
    BPA Wide Receiver

There is plenty of quarterback action this year that you can wait longer than usual.

Kurt likes this.
  6. Goskins1

Thanks for the input...I dont think forte would be the rb to drop...it would probably be lacy or ball...but iv seen this draft take different directions so we shall see

7. SNPokc

SNPokc DEZ NUTS 2016 Premium Member

with pick 11 you could end up with Dez and Julio/Marshall. That would be sick.

8. Goskins1

Am I crazy for reaching for Jordy Nelson over Julio or Marshall at 14? Not sure of Julio's foot and Marshall is creeping up there in age. Just seems like a safer pick.

9. SNPokc

not really. Nelson has his own risks with his knee. but they are all good

10. Greg Brosh

Nelson should have another big year, but I don't mind Marshall either. Age hasn't effected him yet.

All the receivers you mentioned are WR1s with very little point separation between them.

11. Goskins1

one last question for this thread...worst case scenerio that Calvin, Demaryious, and Dez go before me at 11 do I stick to gameplan of 2 wr and take AJ green and Julio/Nelson/Marshall?

12. SNPokc

13. Kurt

YES!

14. People often ask whether they should go RB/RB at Pick 9 in a 12-team standard league, or if it would be better to go RB/WR.

15. Greg Brosh

It depends on what's left. I don't follow a predetermined pick for the first 2 rounds.