Dumb Fantasy Football League Rules

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by 86WARD, Aug 18, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

So two years ago our league instituted a rule that instead of starting 2 RBs and 2 WRs, you could start 1 RB and 3 WRs. This past year they institute a rule that now you can start 3 RBs and 1 WR.

I hate it...takes ALL the strategy out of the draft...

DaBearsrule4ever and Omen like this.
  2. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

It sounds like this new rule is instituted because the number of 3 down running backs are fading fast. Running backs will go heavy early, but take advantage of it since there will be more receivers to grab.

The chances of any team grabbing 3 top 20 running backs is pretty slim in this league.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I know. My thoughts are to find two decent RBs and possibly load up heavy on WRs. While everyone is grabbing at RB, I'll grab WRs and Jimmy Graham...lol. I have the 5th pick. if I go Calvin Johnson at 5 (seeing that Forte, Charles, McCoy and Peterson are gone), then get another top flight receiver (Julio, Marshall) at 20 or possibly Jimmy Graham. Third round, I'll go with a Ellington type back or a Ray Rice/Bernard Pierce in the 4/5 and go another top WR in 3. All I need to do basically is find one RB that is productive...Joique Bell/Reggie Bush...

4. Greg Brosh

I doubt either Graham or Jones will be there. You'll likely end up with the best available wr or rb.

5. SNPokc

SNPokc DEZ NUTS 2016 Premium Member

So your roster looks like QB RB RB RB WR TE ? If so, I would draft Graham over Calvin Johnson. The point differential between TE1 and TE2 will be much greater than the difference between WR1 and WR5-6

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

It could. Or it could be QB - RB - WR WR WR - TE ... OR you could go standard QB - RB RB - WR WR - TE. Makes no sense to me to do a league like that...

7. SNPokc

oh, so is it like all positions are a RB/WR slot?

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Pretty much. You just have to start at least one WR and one RB.

9. SNPokc

yeah, I agree that's dumb. There isn't any strategy there. Always take the best available.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

It also removes the trading in the league...people feel there's no need to trade.

11. Greg Brosh

@86WARD have you read the youtube vid Kurt and I have posted along with the info? That might help you more.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Which one,

13. Greg Brosh

In the video below, replace "big board" with "cheat sheet" - and replace "power rating" with value" - same concepts -

draft the position which has the largest drop off in points at "next value" - this ensure you don't wait on a position when it's replacement value (next value) is much lower than the other possible position.

example:

John RB - Value 60 - ADP 20 - Next Value 20 ADP 34 (the replacement value for John RB is minus 40 - see that?)

Jim WR - Value 40 - ADP 21 - Next Value 36 ADP 36 (the replacement value for Jim WR is minus 4 - see that?)

This means draft John RB - because the next guy that you'll be looking at is projected to score 40 points less... where as at Jim WR, you can have someone that will score nearly as many points but is available a full round later!

Also read this - http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/fantasy-football-draft-strategy-quarterbacks/ which advocates taking the top tier RB first, followed by the top tier WR and TE, followed by the top tier QB. Meaning, if a top tier RB is still around at pick 5, choose him. It also means, if you're at pick 8 and all the top tier RB are gone, it's time to look at the top tier WR/TE. And finally, if you're at pick 10 and all the top tier WR/TE/RB are gone you could consider a top Tier QB if your league is QB friendly. Also, if you have drafted with this league before you may have a hunch if one of those top tier QB will available in Round 2, in which case it might be wise to wait until round two. Like I said, read this - http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/fantasy-football-draft-strategy-quarterbacks/

14. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I'm in a league where I have to start 1 RB, 2 WRs, and 1 flex (RB or WR). That is a stupid stupid rule to start just 3 of one position and just 1 of another position.

86WARD likes this.