Pete Rose Hall of Fame chatter reemerges with election of new baseball commissioner

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by SportsChump, Aug 27, 2014.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Last week, we bid the first, long-awaited adieu to Bud Selig, a man who will mistakenly go down as one of the better commissioners baseball has ever seen. Rob Manfred will soon take his place.

Manfred has worked for Major League Baseball for nearly twenty years, most recently as its CEO. He will have plenty of issues to address when he takes over the commissionership in January. One of those issues, albeit not its most pressing but certainly the most lingering, is whether Pete Rose should be reinstated.

More at: http://sportschump.net/2014/08/27/p...ges-election-new-baseball-commissioner/14302/

markaz likes this.
  2. smeags

smeags militant geek

he should be allowed to go into the hall of fame but he burned his bridge when it comes to working in MLB IMO by lying for so many years.

3. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Agree with smeags.he deserves to be in the HOF,but he should not be allowed to have a job within MLB.

4. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Yeah, but aren't those two mutually exclusive?

5. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

I'm of the opinion that Rose does not belong in the HOF. Yeah his numbers are amazing and he would be 99% voted in based on his numbers but he denied betting on baseball for so long and when he finally told the truth, it was anticlimactic. If he had told the truth from day one, maybe he would already be in the HOF but he didn't.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

no, the hall of fame is not part of MLB.

also, he would go in based on what he did as a player not manager. his playing stats are not tainted at all.

7. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

This^^. What the HOF voted into "law" in the early 90's after MLB nuked Rose was that anyone permanently banned from MLB would not be eligible for induction into their separate little society.

IMO, Rose should get inducted. The HOF committee are primarily "old-schoolers". They'll compare the actions of Rose compared to the roids boys. Rose didn't piss on their almighty records book the way the others did. (Screw that argument about nothing proven). Rose's stats on the field make him the best ever and in the end, I'm just guessing Rose's banishment from the Hall for being a lying douchebag will no longer be a strong enough argument to keep him out. Just guessin'.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

i know i have some bias owards rose because of what he did for the phillies but as a fan of the game i think its wrong for him not being in the hall of fame for his playing days based on something he did as a manager.

Diesel44 likes this.
  9. markaz

Completely agree. Bias my ass. How in the fvck do they keep out the greatest hitter in the game. Here we go again.........

10. markaz

Well said.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah i have to agree 100% with that statement. he will get credit for cleaning up PED's in baseball eventhough as commissioner he allowed their use and wouldve never lifted a finger to clean them up if it didnt blow up in his face.

12. markaz

In '98 he probably sent Sosa and McGwire 6-packs of Androstendione with the note "Keep it up, boys".

TJ likes this.
  13. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Selective witch hunting...

They should have brokered a back room deal tons of years ago to avoid the blatant hypocrisy of what else they've allowed to sell tickets.

14. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Nice to see the Pete Rose debate is still alive and well, huh?

15. markaz

Optimal words: should have
    As well it should. Glad you posted the thread.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

selig whined that rose ruined the integrity of the game.

like tarkus said - hypocrisy at it's best.

17. markaz

Let's agree that the words Selig and integrity cannot be used in the same sentence.

18. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known