Arizona Cardinals cut Darnell Dockett

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by ICECOLD, Feb 28, 2015.

1. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

One of the best defensive players in Arizona Cardinals history is looking for a team.

The Cardinals released defensive tackle Darnell Dockett on Friday.

Dockett, 34 in May, missed the entire 2014 season after tearing his ACL in August. The organization will save $6.8 million in salary-cap space by trimming his $6.55 million salary.

In his prime, Dockett was a versatile three-time Pro Bowl selection capable of playing end and tackle.

Although the two sides were unable to reach agreement on a restructured contract, it's still possible that Dockett will return to the Bird Gang on a more cap-friendly deal after testing the market.

"We have been very clear about our feelings for Darnell and our desire to have him back," general Manager Steve Keim said in a statement, via the team's official website. "After speaking with him and his representatives, we decided that this move today makes the most sense for both the team and the player and allows each to keep all of its options open."

The release of Dockett leaves Larry Fitzgerald as the only remaining pick from Rod Graves' impressive 2004 draft haul that also includes active veterans Karlos Dansby and defensive end Antonio Smith.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000474914/article/arizona-cardinals-cut-darnell-dockett

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Saw it on the news last night and none too surprised. Being age 34 and coming off a devastating injury the cap-needy Cards had no alternative.

My favorite line from the article
    Just how does this make sense for Dockett?

3. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

a lot of 30 year olds got the ax this week smh

4. markaz

Could probably start a thread on the future of NFL contracts. This pay big guarantees at contract signing > heavily back-loaded > renegotiate or cut after 3-4 years is going to blow up one of these days. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if contracts on marquee players ended up being 1-year deals just for organizations to avoid the cap nightmare.

5. markaz

Dockett visiting the 49er's right now. Cardinals offered $2.5 million for one year with playing time and production incentives that could bring it up to $4 million. I hope the Cards can re-sign him even though he's not the same player from 3-4 years ago. If not for his playing ability he's worth the money for his Twitter stuff.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I have a hard time believing that he'd sign in SF. I can't think of anyone else who's been more open and outspoken about his hate for the Niners. I've always been a fan though, and if I still gave any f--ks about the Niners, I'd be stoked to have him.

markaz likes this.