2015 Philadelphia Phillies

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by 86WARD, Jan 7, 2015.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Phillies proving early on here that they can't do the little things...like bunt a guy over to third. Failed at it twice tonight...:dunno:

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Is it just me or does Utley get robbed at least twice a game? Not that his hitting has been great overall, but his average and slugging numbers should be so much higher if not for constant great defensive plays against him. Of course, a few years ago those balls would have had a little more lift to them where the outfielders wouldn't get there.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

If it's a great play, lift or no lift, it's a great play. I watched the same thing happen to George Brett in '80 he hit .390. I've always thought he'd have hit .410-.430 had it not been for great defensive steals. Seemed like every freakin' game, but 20-40 is a safe estimate.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

King Cole!!

6. DawkinsINT

If that ends up being his last start as a Phillie....what a way to go.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yep. He pretty much cemented his spot on The Wall of Fame with that performance...if it's his last in a Phillies uniform. Even without it, he makes he wall, but it makes the Wall Ceremony that much bigger if that was his last start.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

perfect ending for hamels in philly. i was down point pleasant beach on the boardwalk glued to my phone as the game went on. after the game philly fans were high fiving all over.

speaking of the wall of fame. i think the voting needs to be changed. standards are too low as i think the fans decide from a short list from the team. if thats the case the team needs to give better choices IMO. hamels ? yes. absolutely. burrell ? kruk ? no.

9. DawkinsINT

I live 15 minutes away from Point. Would have grabbed a beer with you at the Tiki Bar.

I totally agree about the Wall Of Fame. Once standards are this low it's difficult to increase it in the future.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

man, you're not that far from me in general, im only 45mins( good traffic) from point. love it down there. different vibe than the southern beach towns.

yeah i'm not trying to take away from any of the guys on the wall that i dont think should be there but that should be an exclusive club.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

I agree with the Wall topic. Should be more exclusive.

12. DawkinsINT

I wanted Utley to get traded to help the team move on, but I have to admit (especially after watching tribute videos), I'm really bummed that he's gone. Would be a lot easier if he would have just retired.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

For some reason, I'm happy he went to the Dodgers. But I hate that they trade these guys for prospects...I've always hated that...

14. SNPokc

SNPokc DEZ NUTS 2016 Premium Member

I love every second of it. I love that the dodgers are just going to spend money on older players and ruin their system. The dodgers don't need a bench bat or a backup 2nd baseman. They need relievers and general bullpen help. As long as the opponent's starter keeps the game close to the dodgers starter, the bullpen will give up the game. One less team to worry about in the playoffs, and they will have to keep blowing money in the future to compete because they trade all their prospects.

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

that's what good franchises do. its a crap shoot still to a point but you want young prospects to replenish your farm system and hopefull they contribute to the big club in the future. unfortunately the Phillies haven't drafted worth a damn.

still though, the phils went from a laughing stock of a minor league system to a top 5 and they have high draft picks coming, plus some decent young talent already up in the bigs.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

Amaro will screw it up.

17. DawkinsINT

f**k that. That's one of the biggest disappointments to me. I hate the Dodgers. I'll never get over Ron Cey.

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

he wont be here.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah i have zero love for the dodgers. historically they were the Phillies biggest rival until they moved to l.a. even since there's still generations of angst.

that said, if rollins and Utley find themselves celebrating another title I will be happy for them. but f--k the rest of that cesspool of a team, their phoney fanbase and their gangbanger filled stadium.

SNPokc likes this.
  20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

The only thing worse than Phillies are Dodgers.