My 3 favorite players to target in each round.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by BrianJensen30, Aug 19, 2017.

1. BrianJensen30

BrianJensen30 Rookie

I love draft day! Feels like a holiday that requires putting up family heirlooms and stickers in the windows. And depending on your draft party probably some family you'd rather not hang out with. Seriously though I get excited. Looking over average draft positions so far this year I've put together my 3 favorite players from each round. There's a ton of good players in each round but the 3 I picked just stood out to me. Starting with round 1 through 15 here are my favorite 3 players from each round.

Round 1

David Johnson-Best fantasy player in the draft. PPR leagues he will be the first guy off the board. Standard top 3.

Antonio Brown-Target monster who catches anything close to him. His floor is 100 catches,1,300 yards and 10 TDs. Thats going to cost you an early 1st round pick.

Mike Evans-Defenses will now have to keep a saftey deep to cover DeSean Jackaon leaving the intermediate part of the field for Evans all to himself. He is going to have silly numbers this year!

Round 2

Michael Thomas-Drew Brees found a new toy to play with last year and it reminded him of the good old days with Marques Colston. Jump on that band wagon!

DeMarco Murray-DeMarco didn't fade away when he left Dallas. The Philly experiment didn't work out and the Titans use him to his strengths. Derek Henry will steal some carries and a few touchdowns but he is well worth the 2nd round price tag. 53 catches last year!

Jay Ajayi-Jay Cutler is in at QB so hmm....not sure if it's a great thing for Dolphins fans but it's a great thing for Ajayi fans! He will get every opportunity to rack up rushing yards and should get a few more 7 man in the box looks because Cutler will chuck it deep..into the other teams arms. They will RUN a TON!

Round 3

Brandon Cooks-His fantasy value didn't take a hit switching teams and if anything could have a Randy Moss lite season for New England.

Terrelle Pryor-Switching teams helps this receiver a bunch! Cleveland hardly had an offense last year and he put up more than respectable numbers, now he has Kirk Cousing throwing him the ball in an offense on the upswing.

Christian McCaffrey-I love dual threat running backs. This dude is a WR in a RBs body. At practice he put the moves on All-star LB Luke Kuechly so hard it made his wife jealous.

Round 4

Travis Kelce-Might just be the best option at T.E. well if Gronk gets hurt. The Chiefs frequently use the short and intermediate section of the field and that is where Kelce makes his money. If he were to catch more TDs you could move him up a round.

Mike Gillislee-AKA the new slightly younger, faster LaGarette Blount. Not the best back in the game but the Patriots know how to utilize their players. Blount lead the league in rushing TDs last season (18) so its hard to imagine this dude not getting 12+.

Tyreek Hill-Great athlete who can take the top off a deffense and not afraid to catch the ball in traffic. If you are in a league that offers punt and kickoff points he is a 3rd rounder if not you'll be happy having a guy who can take it to the house on any play.

Round 5

Michael Crabtree-Amari Cooper gets all the attention for the Raiders but I'd rather have Crabtree 3 rounds later especially in PPR leagues. Since arriving in Oakland he has quietly caught 174 balls for 1,925 yards and 17 touchdowns. Awesome FLEX player or WR2 if you focus on RB/QB early.

Matt Ryan-You know Ryan wants another crack at the Superbowl. Not closing the door on New England has to have left a bad taste in his mouth. He has the drive and the talent around him to repeat last years numbers. Don't feel bad using your 5th round pick on this QB.

Greg Olsen-Mr. Consistency. Over the last 5 years he has averaged 77 catches, 969 yards and 5 TDs a season. He's a crafty veteran that always seems to find a way to get open.

Round 6

Julian Edelman-This is just rediculous to me. I am a big fan of Brandon Cools and think he will do big things for the Patriots but come on should Julian Edelman really make to the 6th round? Minus the inconsistent touchdowns the last five years 3,7,4,6,3 he will snag 90 balls for 1,000 yards easy. He is going to lose a few targets to Cooks but he should see more single coverage in return. I'd jump a round guilt free.

Golden Tate-He is the best receiver on a team that throws more balls than Dez Bryant throws fits. He is Julian Edelman but from Notre Dame. Expect around 90 catches 900 yards 6 scores. He wants more money from the Lions so we'll see if he can earn it this year.

Willie Snead-Drew Brees loves spreading the ball around to his teamates. Sometimes that can be annoying if you have one of his receivers. The nice thing about Snead is that he is a great possession reciever which mean he will get a ton of looks on 3rd downs. He will be the chain's mover all season long for the Saints.

Round 7

Danny Woodhead-Not sure if it's the 70's adult movie mustache or the fact he gets all kinds of redzone looks but I kinda have a man crush on Woodhead. Just about none of that last sentence should be repeated. Except the redzone activity part which should remain the same in Baltimore. Add the fact he catches all kinds of balls and will be the 3rd down back all season (Keneth Dixon out for the year). If he makes it to the 7th in PPR leagues you're doing this all wrong.

Delanie Walker-This is why you can wait on tight ends. He loves playing with Marcus Mariota and has earned his trust as a saftey valve, especially on 3rd down. 70 catches, 850 yards and 6 TDs is the norm for this cat and that's the floor. 94 catches and over 1,000 yards in '15.

Jameis Winston-He already had Mike Evans and Cameron Brate to throw to last year now they added DeSean Jackson through free agency and picked T.E. O.J. Howard in the 1st round of the draft. He is sourounded by talent and is pretty talanted himself. This will be the last year to grab him outside the first few rounds.

Round 8

Eric Decker-Well lucky you Mr. Decker. You have departed from the mess AKA the NY Jets offense and landed safely in one of the best up and coming units in the league. With Marcus Mariota at the helm instead of..instead of..um I really can't remember who the JETS QB was last year. Anyway he is a big redzone target and will catch around 90 balls, you can add 15-20 if he stays healthy for a whole season.

Kirk Cousins-The former Spartan has really come on strong the past 2 seasons averaging 4,500 passing yards and 27 TDs. Washington brought in Tyrrell Pryor to add to the young but exciting WR corps but we all know this offense runs through Jordan Reed (when healthy) so Kirk should be able to beam up some great fantasy numbers for whoever is lucky enough to bring him aboard.

Marcus Mariota-Coming off a broken leg late in the year all word from camp is that he is ready to go for the start of the season. Tennessee is a team built for running the ball and they do that well. But don't sleep on the passing game. Mariota is a smart QB that can control tempo to give his team the best chance to win. Think Alex Smith but worth drafting. He could have quite the season especially with the talent shaping up at WR.

Round 9

Jacquizz Rodgers-Rodgers gets to prove what he is made of for the first 3 weeks because of Doug Martins suspention. He is a better all around back then Charles Sims and should get the lions share of the carries. When Martin returns it will get a little foggy but if you're thin at RB he could be a steal in the 9th round.

Cameron Meredith-If Kevin White turns out to be the stud they drafted him to be then Meredith becomes the WR2 on a bad team but untill then he should have plenty of targets coming his way.

Tyrell Williams-He made the best out his opportunity last year when Keenan Allen went down shaking hands with the other team. He racked up 1,059 yards and 69 catches on 119 targets. He should get plenty of looks as the Chargers 2nd receiver but lets be real he could end up being the top dog if Keenan Allen sneezes too hard.

Round 10

Matthew Stafford- Staffords 3 favorite words are Jim Bob Cooter. After taking over he has shown a better understanding of the position and is ready to unload this season. He also worked with a private QB coach in the offseason. At only 29 he is still in his prime and could deliver the best season of his career. He is going to throw around 600 passes guaranteed and if he gets a few more touchdowns he could slip into the top 7 at QB.

Theo Riddick-When he is on the field he is a matchup nightmare for linebackers to cover. Looks like the Lions are going with Ameer Abdullah as their early down back and Riddick gets his old job as the pass catcher on 3rd down. Totally a possibility he has another 80 catch season with 16 games played.

Corey Coleman-Targets are going to be plentiful for this second year receiver out of Baylor. With hardly any competition he should have the opportunity to lead the team in every receiving category. If their is a shining star for the Browns he will be wearing #19. But the star that shines the brightest in Cleveland is always going to be Mimi from the Drew Carey Show.

Round 11

Eli Manning-Eli is a perfect example of why you can wait on QB. You can fill all your positions and get some nice depth on your bench and still have a quarterback who throws to Odell Beckham Jr., Brandon Marshall and Sterling Shepherd.

James White-Biggest question mark here is if Bill Belichick will stick with White as his pass catching back. Remember Dion Lewis.?? What we do know is Mike Gillislee will get downs 1 & 2 and most redzone carries. If White keeps his role all year long their is great value in PPR leagues especially in round 11.

Vikings Defense-Normally I wait to pick a Defense untill the second to last round. But if you are without a Def and are unimpressed with the leftovers towards the end rounds Minnesota has a great defense and you can count on them playing the Bears twice this year guaranteed.

Round 12

Eric Ebron-He has gradually gotten better since being drafted in the first round of the 2014 draft. With Anquon Boldin in Buffalo their will be more redzone opportunities to go around. He caught 61 balls for 711 yards and 1 TD in 2016. This could be the year he breaks out of his fantasy shell and get thrusted into top 10 company. He does need to score more touchdowns for that to happen.

Jack Doyle-Volume and the trust of Andrew Luck will help Doyle become a top 10 T.E. in 2017. He passed Dwayne Allen on the depth chart early last season and is the best option Luck has in the redzone and short yardage situations. You won't get him in the 12th round next year!

Giants Defense-NY really looks good on offense but surprisingly the Giants ended up as the 10th overall defense in the NFL last year. Imagine if Jason Pierre-Paul had his whole hand back.

Round 13

Sterling Shepherd-If you are looking for a safe guy to get you around 10 points every week this is your guy! He'll throw in a TD now and then but 5 catches for 50 some yards is the norm. A good bye week guy.

Rex Burkhead
    -Bill Belichick said he is the best all around back on the team, what that means for fantasy is yet to be seen. He runs hard between the tackles, is good in pass protection and catches well out of the back field. So ya the RB situation in New England is pretty fuzzy but when it clears up you'll want whoever has the hot hand!

DeAndre Washington-He is going to be the back of the future for the Raiders but for now just like in New England it's up in the air who will end up with the most fantasy points when the season ends. They brought in Marshawn Lynch to be the bell cow but with his age, injury risk and a full year away from the game he is no guarantee. Jalen Richard is also an exciting back but my favorite to cut into Lynch's work load is Washington.

Round 14

Kevin White-In the end game I think Kevin White has some serious upside. Cameron Meredith is the safer player but doesn't have the 1st round appeal that White has. Saying either Bears receiver has a chance to be fantasy relevant really isn't that far fetched. It's basically just those two catching passes in Chicago.

Cole Beasley-Quietly Beasley put together a solid fantasy year with 75 grabs, 833 yards and 5 scores. I think Dez will have a nice bounce back year but Beasley earned his stripes and anything close to last years numbers is worthy of a 14th round pick.

Kenny Golladay-Ok so I might be a little biased on this one, I live in Michigan and have been a Lions fan since before I was born. But how do you not like this guy. He's big 6'4" 218lbs. Fast for his size 4.50 40. And Anquon Boldin is a Bill, which frees up 22 targets in the redzone. The Lions passing attack is legit and the Def is a work in progress. Stafford will be busy once again. Lions camp is pretty high on Golladay and the 1st preseason game showed why, 3 catches for 53 yard and 2 touchdowns. He is creeping up the draft board.

Round 15
    Best
    Kicker
    Available

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

2. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Good picks for the most part but there are some "reaches" that are a cause for concern.

DeMarco Murray vs Derek Henry - I mean ya they will run the socks for Murray but round 2 a bit rich considering Henry figures to be involved more this season. I'd rather grab him in round 3.

Terrelle Pryor is an unknown headed to a new team who isn't just targeting him in garbage time (like in CLE) -- Overvalued in the 3rd round -

Christian McCaffrey would be nice in a PPR league and I missed in round 1 and 2 on a true PPR stud.. but in round 3? Seems like one hell of risky shot in the dark for an unproven (NFL) back on a team that has historically been difficult to get RB production from (since Cam)..

I guess my thing is this.. personally I'm spending my top 5 picks on guys that are proven reliable producers in the system.. so no rookies, no guys on new teams, and no guys with a stud 2nd year guy breathing down their neck.