The 2019 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by TJ, Feb 6, 2019.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I'm still in shock by DeMarcus Lawrence's new deal. His agent gets to announce it as a 6-year 100+ million when in reality is a 3-year 60 million which will surely be voided or re-made after year 2, and doesn't send all the cap hits to future years.

It took 25 years, but the Joneses are finally starting to understand how this salary cap thing works.

I still think the salary cap is communist, though...

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

4 years, 140 million the extension for Russell Wilson.

That's a lot of dough...

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Not a bad payday at all. Kinda weird how he shot a live vid in bed with his chick. I wonder how it will affect Wentz getting extended.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Wentz won't have as much guaranteed money due to his injury history. He better play all 16 games in a season soon. You can use his 5th year option next year, then two franchise tags (the Cousins special) before deciding anything...I would hang on to that thought...

5. DawkinsINT

The team wants to extend him now before he has a monster season and his value becomes much higher. They seem certain by the moves they've made that they have their guy. Where Wentz and his agent are on dollars and waiting or not is what is really interesting. It's a tricky situation for both sides. I hope they lock him up soon to give more future flexibility with climbing salaries. His ability is worth the injury risk for me.

6. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Holy crap, the draft is tomorrow already? :O

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I think it's very brave to have these evaluations in print. What if 20 years from now...I don't know...the 30th receiver ranked breaks all of Jerry Rice's records?

9. DawkinsINT

I haven't paid less attention to a draft beforehand as I have to this one. I do hope though that the Eagles draft down. They will need a lot of bodies on rookie contracts for when Wentz gets extended.

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I haven't paid attention either, but only because the Cowboys don't have a 1st round pick, so what's the point on checking the top prospects, right?

In fact, I might miss it altogether...it's a long drive from work this next couple of weeks...

11. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I'm guessing New Orleans has forgotten about that blown call in the NFC Championship Game right about now.

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Only the Knicks finish with the worst record in the league for the first time in my lifetime (they have sucked for 20 years, but they were never the worst) and lose the lottery in the draft that had the best prospect since LeBron James. FML.

But this is the NFL offseason thread, so...yeah, FML too...

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Eagles have re-signed Carson Wentz to a 4-year extension. Terms have not been shown but I'd be surprised if he's getting less than $30 million per year.

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It's 128 million with 107 guaranteed. Biggest practical guarantee in NFL history.

The second happiest person in the planet for that, after Wentz, is Mr. Dakota Prescott...

15. DawkinsINT

I love the deal. That will be a bargain in a few years (assuming he stays healthy of course).

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Right. Luck's, Garoppolo's and Carr's deals were the biggest at their time and they're $25 million per year. Now they're considered bargains.

Will Mahomes be the first $40 million per year player in NFL History? I say yes...

17. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Jaylon Smith is the first of the never-ending list of Cowboys free agents to get his extension. And he was a RESTRICTED free agent after this year.

Jerry and Stephen Jones used the press conference to take every shot you could possibly imagine to Dak and Zeke. I'm sure that'll help with the negotiations, you guys!!

Good for Jaylon. 3 years ago many thought he'd never play again. Now he has 35 million guarnteed for the next 5 years. Great for him, indeed...

18. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

19. DawkinsINT

I'm stunned by Luck's retirement. I can understand his reasoning but awful timing on the decision. It really hurts their organization.

20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I can totally understand too. About the timing, I thought it was the Colts talking him to not do it for a long time. They won't even go after their bonus money!! Really?!?!