The 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by TJ, Feb 7, 2020.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Wow...per Schefter:

Trade, pending physical: Patriots are trading TE Rob Gronkowski and a seventh-round pick to the Buccaneers for a fourth-round pick, source tells ESPN.

TJ likes this.
  2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

That Tampa Bay offense sure is going to be interesting this year. I'm surprised the Bucs only sent a 4th, though...everybody was talking about a swap of 1st round picks.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Yeah, dude, I can tell that yesterday my phone and Facebook feed were blowing the f**k up.

Should be a great year... if it happens.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Cowboys signed Andy Dalton and the fandom has gone crazy.

No. It's not leverage for the Dak negotiations, come on.

The way I see it, after a decade with Jon Kitna, Brad Johnson, Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore and Cooper Freakin' Rush as the back-up QBs, it's like they finally realized they need a solid #2. Especially McCarthy whose life was miserable when he lost Rodgers for a long time.

I love the move. If anything, if Dak holds out or whatever now we have insurance.

5. DawkinsINT

I think it's a good move too. I would have preferred the Eagles sign him over drafting Hurts.

6. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I wanna see what's going to happen with these monster QB contracts, i.e., the one Dak was eventually going to sign, if caps shrink due to decreased fan attendance.

Teams are going to have to rethink what they're paying players if there's no longer that sort of money coming in, yea?

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I always thought the worst case scenario is the cap staying put, rather than shrinking. It currently raises by 10% every year and GMs know that, back loading bonus money in future years, and pretty much spending that extra 10% in advance.

If it starts going down, it will be a real problem. Now I'm almost glad Dak hasn't signed...I'd rather go the franchise tag route with him at this point...

8. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

9. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

How's everybody holding up around here?

I'm assuming not as well as Patrick Mahomes.

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

12 years and half a billion dollars...and somehow I STILL feel like he's underpaid.

He'll probably be by 2024 when the cap is expected to explode.

I have seen contradictory takes on this. Some say Dak now has more leverage, others say it's actually the Joneses.

One week left for the tag deadline. My guess is that no deal will be reached and Dak will play under the tag.

11. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I haven't heard too many people, scratch that...

I haven't yet heard a soul hint in any way this could be a bad signing.

Love for Mahomes is understandably at an all-time high.

I just can't help but wonder how heavily weighted contracts for one player affect what the team will be able to do with the other 52.

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

If the salary cap explodes to 300 million in 2024, as it's expected by everyone once the league negotiates a new deal with the networks (and with streaming services) it won't even matter. By that time Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow might pass him in salary. That's why I said he could be highly underpaid by then. That's why Dak and Watson are aiming for shorter deals...they want a piece of that pie.

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

So...the Washington Redskins are no more. How long until some millenial or centenial finds another team name offensive and the media starts with refraining from using it all over again? The Braves? The Indians? The Chiefs?

Guys, your society is getting so, so weird...

14. DawkinsINT

Believe it or not, the team name they are after now is the Texas Rangers. We all knew handing out participation trophies would lead to this...

15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

If you think about it, every professional sports team name is offensive. I say no more names, no more mascots; only cities.

At least until somebody finds it offensive too.

16. DawkinsINT

They should just cancel all sports. Someone is always sad when their team loses. Who wants to live in a society of sadness like that?

TJ likes this.
  17. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

12 players will play under the franchise tag this year, which is a record.

That includes my boy Dak who apparently is going the Kirk Cousins route to be absurdly paid. I'd say let's tank for Lawrence but we have a very good roster so it's really unlikely...

18. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Training camps start next week. There will be no pre-season games. Nobody seems to know how things will be handled.

The NFL had 5 months to prepare for this and have no answers. They honestly thought it would be over by now, and I can't really blame them. But still...seems so amateurish to me...

19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Now players are opting out all over the league. This will be fun...

20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Alex Smith has been cleared to practice and he just did yesterday in the Redsk......I mean, the Football Team training camp.

I don't care what anybody says. If he plays even one snap, even if it's just a kneel down, he must win comeback player of the year. No questions asked.

In fact, even if he doesn't even play a single snap.

DawkinsINT likes this.