The 2024 Seattle Mariners

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by TJ, Mar 27, 2024.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

That's right. A new thread. I wanted to take Dawk's approach of one thread per team but that's boring...and this way I can differentiate the seasons, as I treat it as my own personal archive that nobody but two people read.

Opening day is tomorrow and it feels like this version of the Seattle Mariners is better than last year's but with a huge asterisk next to it:

*AS LONG AS THEY STAY HEALTHY

We got rid of Hernandez, Suarez, Kelenic and all the 30%+ K rate, but 98 combined HRs for contact guys that strikeout less but who knows if they can stay healthy: The Mitches Garver and Haniger (welcome back) and Polanco at 2B. None of those three has played more than 100 games in a season in years so we shall see.

The core remains intact. The front office was put on an impossible position to improve the team on less budget than last year because the owner is probably the cheapest in baseball now that the Orioles were sold. They accepted the challenge and did a good job overall, not touching the starting rotation and not trading a single top prospect.

Julio Rodriguez is going to have an MVP type year. With Ohtani gone to the NL I think he has a legit chance. JP Crawford had an amazing year in 2023 and I think there's more where that came from. Cal Raleigh, The Big Dumper, is going to put his name in the best catcher in baseball conversation, and Ty France is due for a rebound year after that horrible 2023 (he was an all-star in 2022). Dom Canzone, Josh Rojas, Luis Urias and good ol' Dylan Moore are the role and bench players and they're as good as they get.

The starting rotation is the best in baseball. I don't want to hear it. You're wrong. We have 3 starters that got Cy Young votes last year and they will again. I think George Kirby will take the award. His K to BB ratio is insane. It's like 10 Ks for every BB. He actually gets so pissed when he walks a batter. Luis Castillo will remain the ace for the start of the season, and he'll be in the Cy hunt too. Logan Gilbert might be a #2 or even #1 starter in half the teams of the league. Bryce Miller had an amazing rookie year and he worked on some breaking stuff over the winter so he'll get better. Brian Woo will start the season on the IL but he'll be fine. Rookie Emerson Hancock will be #5 in the mean time and he'll do just fine.

And finally the bullpen is still top in the AL. It got even better with the arrivals of Santos and Vargas, and Andres Muñoz threw gas all over the place during the spring and this time he's healthy to start the year. Only Matt Brash will take a few weeks to get started but other than that we're complete.

So...what are the expectations? Same as last couple of years. Make a run at this thing, get to september alive and in contention and see what happens. The expanded playoff field makes it feel like qualifying is not a big deal anymore, but I think it still is. All in all, I expect them to make it at least to the division series and see what happens from there. I think this team can win 92-94 wins and take the West from the Astros but it will be tough.

Let's playball!!!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I’ll be pulling for you guys this season as my AL team. Good luck!

TJ likes this.
  3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Mariners lost on opening day against the Red Sox 6-4.

Positives:
    - Way, way, WAY less strikeouts. The ball was put in play and a few breaks here and there could've helped us but that's baseball.
    - Mitch Haniger hit the first HR of the season. The last time it happened, in 2022, we made the playoffs.

Negatives:
    - Luis Castillo throwing fastballs 60% of the time is not going to cut it.
    - Infield defense used to be a strength. Last night let's just say it was bad.

For game 2 we have Kirby on the mound and I feel good about our chances.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

LMAO spoke too soon. After opening night the M's have been on a strikeout rampage that makes last year look cool. Just 4 games in we're 29th in K rate. This is the issue the team focused on fixing on an obsessive way and it's getting worse. I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the coaching staff. Others say it's still really cold in Seattle...

We open a series against Cleveland tonight. It will be tougher than the red sox, that's for sure...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Mariners are 3-2 overall, 3-0 in one-run games, and lead the league in strikeouts again.

Chaos ball, baby.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Something's wrong with Luis Castillo. Our Cy Young candidate is 0-3 with a 6.89 ERA in his first 3 starts. I know he's a slow starter but this is too much and people are getting anxious.

The Chaos ball vibes are higher than ever. We win one-run games but get blown out by more than 8 every other game. Not a good start but we're not even 10% into the season yet...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Castillo's start was better yesterday: 6 innings, 2 runs (1 earned) 9 Ks...and the Mariners lost 3-2.

This feels more like Mariners baseball...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Mariners are back to .500. After a horrible start, the pitching settled, we got a few hits and now we're tied in 1st place with the Rangers, and we open a series against them tonight. Looks like the AL West will suck this year. The Astros look cooked which makes me happy.

Let's go win this thing...

9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Mariners won a series against the World Champion Rangers (their third in a row) and woke up today as the leaders of the AL West (which really sucks this year but I'm fine with that). I don't even remember the last time we led the division this early in the season, we usually make a late push that falls short 99% of the time.

DawkinsINT likes this.