Michael Irvin's HOF speech.

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by DawkinsINT, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

I thought Irvin said he wanted his kids to be a better father to their children then he was to them. Bottom line is that he stood up on the night of the biggest individual recognition any player could receive and he admitted his faults in a sincere way. For those without perspective who see whatever he does as phony, then I offer an example to you:

A team I hate, the Redskins, had a player named Dexter Manley. He had his fair share of personal problems and I saw an interview of him on local TV a few years ago. To that point I had never seen a man who took many wrong turns own up to his mistakes and challenge himself on changing.

There are people out there who make recurring mistakes that end up changing. Do I expect Irvin to be a saint from here on in? No. I do however support anyone with that deep of a desire to change. Will it be permanent? Maybe, maybe not. I won't stop pulling for someone who makes an effort to fight their demons.

2. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Note to Michael Vick, Pete Rose, and Barry Lamar Bonds:

If you took the same approach as Michael Irvin did in his acceptance speech that he gave this past Saturday night, and humbled yourselves, and admitted your mistakes, I think the American public would look at you quite differently as they do now.

Were the three of you watching? Probably not. The three of you are all hopeless.

3. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

It was coke, not crack. Big difference.
    And besides, all his friends were doing it how bad could it be?:icon_mrgreen:

4. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

Coke and strippers. When he addressed his family and apologized for being a bad husband and father, that was the most heart felt thing I've seen at the HOF.

5. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10283392
    Source: Vic Carucci, NFL.com

6. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Not hard to admit your mistakes in public when the public heard it years ago, the "white house" incidents and his various hookups of the female persuasion, I don't feel that just because he talked about them in public some 10 years after the fact that he should be elevated to damn near saint hood, his family has been through the ringer, 10 years ago is when he should have come clean not at the HOF awards but of course the audience there was for millions were as his family only would have amounted to about 15-20....we all know he's always been an attention tramp...I didn't buy it

7. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

I'll say it again..Charlie Sanders best speech.

#47 1st Stringer

I thought it was phony as well..

9. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

have to agree with you...

10. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

"Hi Mom" That was classic it actually brought a tear to my eye.

11. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh ..... Irvin's speech.....Think his time at ESPN paid off? Think he can turn it on and turn it off for the camera? Think he thought Chris Bermans jokes were that funny that he'd laugh his fool head off? I believe he was moved to tears at the HOF but I do not buy his total sincerity. Prayers for him would be a good thing.

12. bossplaya000

bossplaya000 Bitch I'm the boss

I thought it was pretty phony..

13. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

What...no love for Bruce Matthews???

14. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Homer:icon_lol:

15. SRW

Yeah well even I have to admit Bruce was a bit long winded. You couldn't help but laugh when even he acknowledged it and the HOF's behind him laughed.

16. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

His was my 2nd favorite behind Charlie sanders.

17. SRW

I think he's still thanking some obscure coach. :icon_wink:

18. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ederi_g8qmU[/MEDIA]

19. bizell

bizell NFL-Fans refugee

everett mciver called - thanks for stabbing him in the neck with the scissors.

p.s. extra thanks to the coverup down @ ranch valley or whatever the hell the cowboys camp is called for keeping mr. hof mike from going to prison