Barry Sanders = GOAT

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Monietooth, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Nice topic but its not all about you bro,,,:icon_rolleyes:

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I'm not trying to make it about me...

I know you expect me to shut up when you call me out...but sometimes I won't...get used to it...

Anyway...Barry Sanders = QUITTER...

Carry on...

3. happ

happ PECAVI

Can't blame him for walking when he did, as so many guys play too long, and end up with bum knees and hobble around the rest of their life.

4. Fish

Fish I'm glad I came!

I agree with that. Maybe he was smarter for quiting while he could still walk. Maybe he saw that the Lions were in a downward spiral and figured it was time to get out.

5. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I have no problem with Barry quitting, just because of the state of the franchise at that time. From a selfish point of view I would have loved to see him for another 5 years in a different uniform but oh well.

I don't think he was the best back though. He had the best moves I ever saw but he also lost yards pretty regular. IMO the best pure back I ever saw was Walter Payton. Though I never saw Jim Brown.

6. Monietooth

Monietooth Starter

Honestly - do shut the heck up.

Sanders left the game for a multitude of reasons, ALL of which are more respect worthy than the pitiful record chasing performance of Emmitt Smith in his last 4 seasons.

Barry Sanders lost an average of 3 yards a GAME more than Walter Payton.

He gained an average of half a yard MORE every CARRY.

7. TJ you freaking butthole I'm talking to Tooth....thats why I said nice topic...and don't act like you have a spine....sweets and srw have done the majority of fighting for your whining butt. If you read my first post you will see my comments echo yours ya douche! :groan: :crazy: :eek:a08: :eek:hboy: :icon_violent-smiley

:groan: :crazy: :eek:a08: :icon_violent-smiley

8. tigersucs

tigersucs nfl-fans refugee

Here is Sanders explanation as to what he did and when:

Several years after retirement, and repeated refusals to discuss the abruptness of it, Sanders finally admitted that the culture of losing in the Lions' organization was too much to deal with even though he said that he could still play. He explained that it robbed him of his competitive spirit, and he saw no reason to believe things were going to improve. He also stated that there were tears in his eyes as the Lions lost the final game of his career the season before he left, because he knew in his heart he was never going to play another NFL game - "I sobbed for 3 months!"[8] After a couple of months in retirement, he tried to join the Miami Dolphins, which made the playoffs seven out of ten times from the 1990 to the 1999 season, but his comeback failed due to the contract dispute with the Lions.--from his wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

Sanders though was a great back whose 2000-yd performance over 14 games was amazing to see. At least he left when he knew his heart wasn't into it instead of trying to play just to set a record and end up hurt or hurting his team.

9. Monietooth

Monietooth Starter

His book gives a good explanation as to why he ended it early, and its fair enough tbh.

10. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Same here. He's the best back... I ever saw.

or better than signing with the Cardinals... :redface:

11. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Best ever is and always will be a matter of opinion. Jim Brown quit/retired long before he had too. He already had championships though. So hard to say who was best ever. So amny arguments for or against any of them. Brown, Payton, Smith, Sanders....many even put Sayers and Campbell in there. I've even seen arguments for Bo Jackson....a career ended long before it should have along with Sayers.
    Barry was great but if I were ranking them....it would be Walter Payton at the top.