Platoon 86's 2008 NFL Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by Platoon 86, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

1. St. Louis Rams: Jake Long, OT, Michigan.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Orlando Pace is one of the top offensive tackles in the game, but he has missed significant time the past two seasons. Without Pace on the line, the Rams simply cannot score consistently. They need to do something about this, because as far as I'm concerned, Pace is unreliable at this stage of his career. St. Louis cannot allow Marc Bulger to be sacked six times per week. He's too good a quarterback for that to happen.
    2. Miami Dolphins: Glenn Dorsey, NT, LSU.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] The Dolphins, believe it or not, have done fairly decent offensively this season. What is causing their 0-8 record is their defense struggling and by drafting Dorsey, they should improve. Dorsey has dominated in almost every game for LSU this year and with Jake Long drafted, Miami likely won't hesitate to draft Dorsey.

3. New York Jets: Chris Long, DE, Virginia.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] The New York Jets will need to draft someone who will get to the Quarterback in their 3-4 defense. That certain someone is Chris Long, son of former Hall of Famer, Howie Long, Chris also played in the 3-4 at Virginia so he'd be a nice choice for the Jets. Chris is a Top 5 prospect, so this can turn out to be a great choice for the Jets. McFadden may be available but can Mangini really handle watching his Defensive Line get pushed around like a bunch of kids again?

4. New England Patriots (From San Francisco 49ers): Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Now I know that a Running Back may not be the Patriots number one needed position to fill, but McFadden is a very talented football player. The Patriots have dominated offensively, even without a great rushing attack. The Patriots have no huge needs to fill, so why not take the best player available? That's why I think they will draft McFadden. Imagine the damage they could do with Brady and the passing game, as well as McFadden and Maroney splitting carries?
    5. Cincinnati Bengals: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Bengals have struggled defensively this season, ranked 31st overall at the moment, only ahead of the Cleveland Browns. Campbell is a talented Defensive End who should be a valuable asset to the Bengals.
    6. Atlanta Falcons:
    Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] I can't help but feel a little sorry for Atlanta Falcon fans. First, they trade their best QB to Houston, Vick slaughters puppies, they pick up piano boy Harrington and then they pick up cheeseburger-eating Leftwich, Atlanta needs a Quarterback. They need a Quarterback who is a leader, Woodson is the one to fill the job. Look at how Woodson commanded his squad against teams like LSU and Arkansas, he should be a nice choice to lead the Falcons. Unless McFadden falls to the Falcons, they may choose him as a future replacement to Warrick Dunn, who is bound to retire soon. If he's taken though, I think their best choice would be Woodson then.
    7. Oakland Raiders: DeSean Jackson, WR, California.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Al Davis loves players with speed, if Jackson runs his expected time of 4.2 or even 4.3, Davis will toss his walker away to select Jackson. If the Raiders ever decided to put Russell in, his powerful arm and Jackson's speed could be a very nice combination.
    8. Arizona Cardinals: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Current Cardinals Free Safety, Terrence Holt has played mediocre for the Cardinals. If the Cardinals get a chance to draft Phillips, they will probably do that. Phillips would look great next to Strong Safety, Adrian Wilson, those two together could combine a nice combination for the secondary.
    9. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Minnesota is struggling at the Quarterback position. Tarvaris Jackson is ineffective and Kelly Holcomb is also not the answer. With Ryan on the board, they Vikings will likely draft him. Peterson is what's carrying the offense at the moment, the Vikings will need a Quarterback who can also get the job done.
    10. Denver Broncos: James Laurinaitis, MLB, Ohio State.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Broncos are rated near the bottom in almost every defensive category. James Laurinaitis is easily the best defensive player still available and the Broncos should not hesitate to pick him.
    11. Chicago Bears: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] The Bears are struggling at the Quarterback position, Grossman got benched, Griese's not doing much better, and Kyle Orton is more famous for being drunk than a good QB. If Brohm is available for the Bears, they will not hesitate to choose him.
    12. Philadelphia Eagles: Sam Baker, OT, USC.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Eagles offensive line hasn't been all too good this season. The Haunting memory of Osi Umenyiora sacking McNabb 6 times is the still in the minds of Eagle fans. Also, William "Tra" Thomas and Jon Runyan maybe nearing retirement, so they will need a future tackle on the line to protect whoever thier quarterback may be.
    13. Houston Texans: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Texans have been struggling with the running game this year, the injured Ahman Green has given little production and his replacement, Ron Dayne, is only averaging 3.5 yards per carry. Houston should consider taking the best running back off the board.
    14. Seattle Seahawks: Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Shaun Alexander will be 31 next season and he's already showing signs of declining, Slaton is the best running back left on the board, so Seattle should consider taking him.
    15. New Orleans Saints: Malcom Jenkins, CB, Ohio State.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Saints can't apply pressure on opposing quarterbacks because their secondary is garbage, prompting defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs to provide more help to a horrific secondary. If the Saints were to add Malcolm Jenkins to its roster today, he would be a starter.
    16. Baltimore Ravens: Quentin Grove, DE/OLB, Auburn.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Ravens never really found anyone special to replace Adalius Thomas after he went to the Patriots. Grove would be a nice choice to replace him.
    17. Kansas City Chiefs: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Well Larry Johnson's averaging under 4 yards a carry, 25 sacks have been allowed in 8 games, maybe the Chiefs should draft a good offensive lineman to replace some of the great ones they had in the past? Clady would be a nice choice for the Chiefs.
    18. Buffalo Bills: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]At 6-4, 217, Malcolm Kelly is the perfect complement to the lightning-quick Lee Evans. J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards need a better No. 2 receiver than Peerless Price and Josh Reed.
    19. Carolina Panthers: Dan Conner, OLB, Penn State.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Hey, Guess What? Dan Morgan's injured again! It's a shame too because Morgan had a lot of talent, Carolina just can't count on him to stay healthy. It's time to cut the cord. Carolina should draft Conner and move Jon Beason to the inside.
    20. San Diego Chargers: Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] San Diego lost 3 veteran inside linebackers this offseason and only received 2 rookies, one which got arrested last summer. Maualuga would be a nice choice for the Chargers.
    21. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Early Doucet, WR, LSU.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Tampa Bay is not exactly loaded at Wide Receiver. Doucet is a talented Wide Receiver and would be a nice choice for The Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    22. Dallas Cowboys (From Cleveland Browns): James Hardy, WR, Indiana.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn may be nearing the end of their careers at some point, so drafting Hardy would not be a bad idea. Hardy could become a future weapon to Romo at "Big D."
    23. Jacksonville Jaguars: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Jaguars do not have much talent at the Wide Receiver position. I mean if Dennis Northcut can be the teams number one receiver, you know they have problems. Manningham would be a nice choice for the Jaguars to add onto the Wide Receivers list.
    24. Washington Redskins: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Phillup Daniels is not exactly young and reliable, he is now 34 years old. Derrick Harvey collected 11 sacks in 2006, including two against Troy Smith in the BCS Championship. He would be a nice replacement to Daniels.
    25. Pittsburgh Steelers: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Ever since letting go of Plaxico Burress, the Steelers have needed a huge receiver for their quarterbacks to work with. At 6-4, 215, Adarius Bowman can help a passing attack ranked just 19th in the NFL. Big Ben would find Bowman to be a useful target for years to come.
    26. Tennessee Titans: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Thanks to PacMan Jones' multiple arrests, rookie safety Michael Griffin has to play corner. The Titans should draft a corner so Griffin can slide back to his natural position. Tennessee cannot have quarterbacks like Sage Rosenfels torching them. Jenkins would be a good corner for the Titans to draft.
    27. New York Giants: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Any team with a power running attack could expose the Giants 4 Defensive End formation, so the Giants should draft a pass rushing DT like Ellis, especially if Michael Strahan finally decides to retire.
    28. Detroit Lions: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Lions have struggled against the pass so far this season. Detroit is near the worst in passing yards allowed. Talib could become a reliable corner for the Lions.
    29. Green Bay Packers: Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Brandon Jackson hasn't worked out too well as a second round rookie and DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Grant aren't the answers either, Green Bay will suffer without a running game as the playoffs approach. Rice would be a nice pick for Green Bay.
    30. Dallas Cowboys: DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Terence Newman and Anthony Henry are aging. Newman will be 30 in September 2008., while Henry doesn't have very many productive seasons remaining in the NFL. They will need a corner, Tribble will be the guy.
    31. San Francisco 49ers (From Indianapolis Colts): Frank Okam, NT, Texas.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] The 49ers fixed their secondary last offseason but never got a monstrous Defensive Tackle capable of taking on two offensive lineman and clogging running lanes, Frank Okam will be that guy.

Well I've never done a mock draft before, what do you guys think of this one? Feel free to make up your own, too.

2. Bulluck53

Bulluck53 NFL-Fans

Will someone please tell me why the Titans would pick a corner in the first round.... Griffin was moved back to free safety because our CBs have been playing so well. Plus we will have Pac next year. Wow. (Thats not only directed at this mock, btw)

I also doubt ATL would pass on Brohm

3. dan connor is my favourite LB from this clbutt. i'd love to see him in carolina

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I don't know where to start...Jake Long at #1?!?!? LMAO!!!Andre Woodson the 1st QB taken? Calais Campbell #5? Laurinatis isn't even going to be IN THE DRAFT!! ROFLMAO!! Quentin Groves falling to 16? Oh my goodness...every time I look at it I see something else absolutely ridiculous. What, did you use some preseason NCAA football guide to make your rankings?

Wowwwww.

:tsk:

EDIT: OH, nvm you just stole it all from Walterfootball.

5. I bleed Sooner red

I bleed Sooner red Fans refugee

Nothing wrong with Long at #1. He is the best OT in the draft and the Rams need an OT.
    Any QB between Woodson, Ryan, and Brohm being taken 1st is fine. They are difficult to distinguish as the true #1 right now, so it's all opinion.
    Laurinaitis probably will be entering the draft actually...
    Groves probably will fall that far due to injury concerns and lack of consistency.
    Campell still has the best ceiling amongst any defensive player in this clbutt.

Make your own mock instead of just criticizing a guy on his first one.

6. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Quoted for truth.

Back to the mock draft. I can see Jake Long going that early. Like IBSR said, he could be the best OT in the draft come April and the Rams O-Line is a joke. One pick I kept an eye on was Adarius Bowman. Seeing him go to the Steelers at 25 was a bit of a bummer since he's a guy I've had my eye on for some time now and hope the Titans have a shot at him. I was a bit shocked to see DeSean Jackson go so high (Raiders #7) and the Falcons pass up on Brohm. The Kenny Phillips/Adrian Wilson combo would be fun to watch in Arizona however.

Stretch Pick (IMO): It's between Jackson at #7 or Slaton at #14 to Seattle. I am not sold on Slaton. Sure he's fast, but can he be anything more than a change of pace back?

7. BroncoBJ

BroncoBJ JayCutler4MVP!!!

I dont have a problem with the Mock except :lol: @ Denver with the #10 pick.
    We dont suck that bad.

8. happ

happ PECAVI

I don't see anything glaringly off in this draft. It's a very solid effort. If it matched up with mine, then it would be wrong, as my draft last year was tied for the matt millen award. I am hopeful that the Falcons draft Brohm, as it will mean our rookie QB will be ready to play sooner.

9. Bulluck53

Bulluck53 NFL-Fans

Ladies and gentlemen of GridironFans.com,

The Tennessee Titans are set in the defensive backfield, barring further arrest/suspension/injury, for years to come. Cortland Finnegan and Nick Harper are doing more then what was expected of them so far at the corner spots. Consequentially, first round pick Michael Griffin has been moved to his natural Free Safety spot in the line-up. Chris Hope is a pro-bowl Strong Safety. Add in the fact that the suspended Pacman Jones will be reinstated (and yes he will be a Titan in 2008) and the backfield just gets deeper. Now, I ask, why would the Titans waste a first-round draft pick on a position with such little need?

Thank you for your time.

PS: nice work otherwise on the draft. I know about 12 college players so I respect the time you put into it.

PPS: I now realize the draft above mine is only quoted from the head of this thread.... my point still remains valid :lol: