BJ Penn Vs George St. Pierre II

Discussion in 'Boxing/MMA Talk' started by Garnett, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

It's been confirmed that two of the most talented Mixed Martial Artist will be touching gloves again on December 28th at UFC 92.

This fight may be EPIC. I'm a huge fan (possibly nuthugger) of both guys and this is 1 of 3 dream fights I've wanted for a year now.

Penn is possibly the most naturally gifted fighter in MMA today. He has worldclass BJJ, very good striking, a solid chin and insane flexibility. His 1 hiccup that's plagued him is his cardio. Since hiring a nutritionist and taking his strength and conditioning seriously since last year, BJ has looked dominant at 155. He lost to GSP in a split decision back in 2006 in a close fight that had he didn't gas out, he may have won.

GSP is quite possibly the most athletically gifted and talented fighter in MMA. He has great wrestling, good striking, good cardio, and seemingly limitless potential. He's basically the total package and puts together all forms of martial arts as well as anyone to enter a ring or cage.

I can't bring myself to pick a winner but I might lean to GSP as he's naturally bigger and stronger and he uses his wrestling extremely effectively in a MMA manner.

Anyone else hyped?

2. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Are you freaking kidding me????

I am so stoked it is not funny.

Obviously BJ will have to move up to welterweight for the fight, as I don't possibly see GSP being able to cut down to 155.

Assuming that GSP still holds the belt in December (and I am very much assuming this) will this be a title shot for BJ at welterweight?

Will BJ get the welterweight belt if he wins, or will this be an exhibition/regular fight without championship consequences for either fighter?

3. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I posted this the other day in one the threads as a "rumor" and I'm stoked that it's now a reality. The only other fight I wanna see more than this is GSP and Spider Silva. BJ is an animal and GSP is a machine. I would definitely be rooting for GSP.

4. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

"When Dana White convinced BJ Penn to drop down to lightweight (Penn's natural fighting weight) from welterweight in order participate in The Ultimate Fighter Season 5 and help solidify a weight class that sorely needed a superstar, Penn agreed under the condition that he would be allowed to move back up to welterweight once he cleaned out the lightweight division.

Three dominant performances at lightweight including two championship victories have apparently convinced White that Penn is ready to move back up to welterweight where he's dropped his past two fights; a controversial decision loss to Georges St. Pierre and a loss to Matt Hughes in which Penn dominated the fight before suffering a severe rib injury and was promptly TKO'd for the first time in his career.

?I don?t know,? White said, ?BJ was here tonight all fired up cheering for GSP; they both really want that fight. I?m gonna let that fight happen."

As for Penn's future at 155, Penn himself has stated that he plans to defend his lightweight title while moving back and forth between light and welterweight taking on all comers in both weight clbutt.

"I'd like to fight welterweight and lightweight at the same time if I could," said Penn. "I'm moving up to the welterweight division and moving down to defend the lightweight title."

Penn has been lobbying for another fight with St. Pierre since dropping a razor thin decision to St. Pierre two and a half years ago at UFC 58; but St. Pierre warned that things may be different the next time they meet in the octagon.

?I?m way more skilled than I was before,? St. Pierre told reporters in reference to his last fight with Penn.

Penn has also stated that he's a different fighter since rededicating himself to the sport after a loss to Matt Hughes and both men have been dominant in every one of their fights against top notch opponents over the past year and a half.

A source close to the situation has informed Fightline.com that the fight will take place on December 27 of this year, corroborating a previous report that the two would meet for the UFC's New Years Eve show so that date looks likely at this point.

We'll have more details as this story continues to develop. "

http://www.fightline.com/news/2008/8...n_336848.shtml

5. dolphindude13

Definitely! GSP is getting better every fight, hopefully he learned a painful lesson with Matt Serra. I don't think he'll ever get caught looking past anyone again.

6. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

sweet butt card fo sure.......bj is just insane good ive only seen GSP fight once and iam more a fan of BJ

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Thanks for the updates dude!

This is gonna be one hell of a fight, I can't friggin' wait!!!

I am so pulled in 2 directions though, as these are two of my favorite fighters of all time, and I respect them both immensely...

:yahoo:

8. Vyse314

Vyse314 Slayer of beasts!

bj is dominant at LW. he needs to stay there

at WW, he's 1-3. no way is he beating GSP at this point

9. mouse

mouse Starter

SOME PEOPLE THOUGHT HE WON THE LAST FIGHT WITH GSP AND EVEN IF YOU DIDN' THINK HE WON IT WAS KIND OF OBVIOUS HE LOST BECAUSE HE GBUTTED AND WAS OUT OF SHAPE. I THINK GSP WILL PROBABLY WIN, BUT THERE ISN'T ANY REASON TO BELIEVE BJ CAN'T EITHER. IT SHOULD BE AN OUTSTANDING FIGHT EITHER WAY.

HELL THE WHOLE RUMORED CARD SHOULD BE GREAT.
    BJ VS. GSP
    BIG NOG VS. MIR.... NOG SHOULD WIN BUT IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE THEIR JJ AGAINST EACH OTHER.
    WANDERLEI SILVA ON THE CARD
    THERE ARE NOW RUMORS OF RAMPAGE VS. SHOGUN AS WELL.

10. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Bj will lose. GSP is bigger and better then he was the first fight. Bj would have to bulk up and we all know what happens when he does that. He can't add muscle on his frame to bulk up so he adds fat. He gasses and gsp will push the pace of the fight knowing that. Bj's only really shot of winning is pulling a Matt Serra and Catching GSP.

11. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I doubt that Penn will try to submit GSP and gas.

Penn will KO GSP...

12. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Penn at Welter never goes 5. He usually gasses in round 3.

13. dolphindude13

Let's put a six figure side bet on that when it gets closer. BJ will try to submit GSP and BJ will gas again and GSP will TKO him.:beerchug:

14. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

definitely taking GSP in this one....

15. hermhater

hermhater Guest

No way BJ tries to submit GSP unless GSP just gives him his back, which I don't see happening.

I think Penn will keep it on their feet so he can keep cracking GSP in the face with those bricks he has at the end of his arms...

16. dolphindude13

Well that would be a mistake for BJ in my opinion.....GSP is bigger stronger and faster, if anyone wants it on the feet it will be GSP.

17. hermhater

hermhater Guest

A mistake how?

Do you think that GSP will knock out Penn?

I don't see that happening.

BJ has the ability to keep the fight standing up if he boxes GSP and tries to take him down.

BJ stops him from taking him down and keeps punching him in the face like he did last time.

If BJ let's GSP take him down then he will gas because he tries submissions that won't work, and use up a lot of his gas.

I don't see that happening either though, because BJ is smart enough to just stand up from a take down.

18. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

GSP will want to take this fight to the ground b/c of his size advantage and his superior wrestling. The fight will be decided in BJ's takedown defense.

19. hermhater

hermhater Guest

100% agreed!!!

I know GSP is bigger and stronger, but he still doesn't have the stand up game BJ possesses.

GSP will end up trying to take Penn down, but I don't know that he will be able to.

Have you ever watched BJ hop around on one foot like a freaking pogo stick?

He's almost impossible to take down...

20. dolphindude13

Like guns, this is just another one of those things we'll disagree on HH. Imo GSP has the superior standup and BJ probably has a slight advantage on the ground.