49ers DT Demarcus Dobbs Suspended For 2012 Arrest

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Sweets, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

49ers backup defensive tackle Demarcus Dobbs was suspended without pay Wednesday for the Sept. 8 regular-season opener against Green Bay for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

On Nov. 30, Dobbs was arrested for suspicion of marijuana possession and suspicion of DUI when he was involved in a single-car accident around 4 a.m. in Santa Clara.

Dobbs, whose 2012 season ended Dec. 9 because of a knee injury, can participate in all offseason practices and preseason games. He can return to the active roster the day after the Packers game.

After practice Wednesday, Dobbs, 25, said he learned of his suspension last month. He will forfeit $32,647 of his $555,000 base salary.

"The league decided to take action on it, and they felt this punishment was fit and I agree with it," he said. "I've got to deal with my consequences - can't complain about it or do much about it now. I learned a lot from that situation and I have no intention of repeating it."

Source: The Redzone