49ers Fire Head Coach Mike Singletary

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by ravenfan52, Dec 26, 2010.

1. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

The San Francisco 49ers announced late Sunday night they have fired coach Mike Singletary after 2 1/2 seasons at the helm. Singletary was informed of the decision shortly after the team returned from St. Louis, where the 49ers (5-10) were eliminated from NFC West contention after losing 25-17 to the Rams. Owner Jed York confirmed the coaching change hours after addressing reporters on the mater in post-game interviews. Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula will serve as interim coach in the season finale at home against the Arizona Cardinals. A news conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET. "One of the greatest experiences of my life was having the opportunity to coach the San Francisco 49ers," Singletary said in a team-issued statement. "What made it so special were the players. They were some of the most outstanding men I have ever been around in my life. The coaches were truly professionals. I wish the 49ers nothing but the best. I am thankful to the York family for having given me the opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL. I am indebted to them for that. I am also thankful for the Faithful fans, I am just sorry I couldn't give them more."

Source: NFL.com

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. The 49ers want winners.....

3. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

so I guess I shouldn't buy the Mike Singletary version of the "Coach 'Em Up" DVDs?

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Finally a move that should have been done long ago...like NEVER GOTTEN THE DWEEB...

1 person likes this.
  5. ravenfan52

i'd rep you if i could bbb...rofl.

6. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQM6P5bgr0A]YouTube - Troy Smith Sideline Blow up with Mike Singletary feat Ted Ginn[/ame]

7. ravenfan52

Story updated with Singletary statement.

8. ravenfan52

That's FOUR head coaches fired in-season this year. By comparison, only three were fired overall in 09-10. After the season, I expect there to be at least four more openings (Texans, Bengals, Browns, Panthers) and perhaps up to nine (Redskins, Dolphins, Giants, Cardinals, Titans).

9. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

How many will last until the CBA situation is resolved?

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

No surprise.

I'd be curious to hear what was being said between Singletary and Smith.

11. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I watched this game from start to finish (:tsk2:) and prior to the INT T Smith had taken the 49er's downfield in 4 plays only to have the kicker miss a chip shot. Then at 9:00 left to play Singletary benches him. I think I posted in Gameday right then that Singletary was trying to get fired with this move because T Smith really wasn't doing that bad of a job until the INT. It really highlighted what a crappy decision-maker Singletary was.

What an insult to get canned with one game left to go. You really gotta be hated. It would really be nice if the Niners got some stability to the HC position. Just too great of an organization to be nothing more than a doormat in the NFC West.

I guess it's time to take down the sig.

12. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

He was way over his head as a head coach. Think at least 2 more get the axe at the end of the year, and there just isn't that much available on the market for decent coaches.

13. lambertjr

lambertjr FNG

Texans and Bengals are probably 100%.
    If the Giants lose again it wouldn't surprise me if Coughlin goes.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

^this.

15. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

Smith sucks end of story. Like I said in a previous thread where everyone thought Smith was the next greatest thing because he had a good game or two!! He will never be a worth of crap NFL QB. Like Vick, like Pyror, like D-Rob, like Newton, like Smith...etc etc!!

16. tha heck

17. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I could be mistaken but it appears that you're not terribly fond of black quarterbacks,

18. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Ummm, he forgot McScab and Vince Young but Vick???? I'm with adamm, tha heck? :moe:

19. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

He's a man of class and I wish him the best. Should have been given the opportunity to finish the year, or canned after 0-4/0-5. Classless move by the Niners organization.

However, glad he's gone because we now have a chance to win again! Next is Manusky!

20. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Whoa? Class? Wasn't that the biggest knock on him? His lack of class? Screw, I would crack up listening to that BS....he's too much of a hard butt. No, that's not it you touchy-feely west coast hecks. It's simply that Singletary was too proud to admit he was way in over his head. He hecked up when he got rid of Shaun Hill so Alex Smith wouldn't feel pressure in camp. Are you kidding me? And one other heck up was when he wasn't able to land Scott Linehan as offensive coordinator. His schemes would have been perfect for the skill set the team was cultivating. Bonehead Mike was all 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He was doomed before he even started.