49ers FS Dashon Goldson Wants His Future To Remain In San Francisco

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Nov 9, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin Staff Member

49ers safety Dashon Goldson, who is earning $6.212 million this season, could get tagged again next year, at 120 percent of his 2012 salary ($7.45 million). Of course, the Los Angeles native is hoping for the alternative: a commitment assuring him of staying in San Francisco in 2014 and beyond.

“No doubt, I want to stay here,†Goldson said. “I’ve been here six years. This is home for me. I’m a California guy, a California native. I’m comfortable here. I love the organization, I love the team. There’s no place I’d rather be but here. Unfortunately, we all know how this stuff works. I hope it all works out. I’m always thinking positive, but I’ve got football to play. I’ll let that stuff take care of itself.â€

Goldson, who shares the team lead with two interceptions and ranks second with six passes defensed, should bring defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to the negotiating table in the offseason. On Thursday, Fangio, an assistant with the Ravens from 2006-10, suggested Goldson was just a notch below Baltimore safety Ed Reed. A presumptive future Hall of Famer, Reed, 34, has earned eight Pro Bowl berths and is a five-time, first-team All-Pro.

“Ed Reed’s a little different guy the way he’s always played safety,†Fangio said. “Ed’s got tremendous instincts and a great feel for the ball, tremendous ball skills. And Ed’s one of the best safeties in this era the last 10, 15 years, for sure. But Dashon, I think, is right up there with him.â€

Source: San Francisco Chronicle