49ers Plan To Woo Stanford Coach Jim Harbaugh After Orange Bowl

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Now that league and team sources agree that Trent Baalke will be promoted to 49ers general manager soon, they also agree on which coach he will target first: Stanford's Jim Harbaugh. The 49ers' initial plan is to make a full-court press to woo Harbaugh once Stanford plays in the Orange Bowl on Monday. Baalke, who has handled most of the team's GM duties since May, returned from Florida a few days after Stanford arrived for its bowl game. Team president and CEO Jed York said the next general manager will pick the coach to replace Mike Singletary, who was fired Sunday when the 5-10 49ers were eliminated from the NFC West race. If Harbaugh doesn't pick the 49ers, the team would move to a Plan B lineup, and team and league sources anticipate they would consider former Ravens coach Brian Billick, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey among others, but again, they first must hire a GM so he can then hire the next head coach, which will not come until next week, sources said.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
  2. kenman923

kenman923 Rookie

Jim Harbaugh will do a good job in SF. I wonder if he is also under consideration in Tennessee as a possible replacement for Jeff Fisher.

3. I don't see Harbaugh going anywhere else but San Francisco if he is returning to the NFL. He would have to put up with Vince Young in Tennessee and I wouldn't tie my career to Young if I were him.

With the 49ers......he would be in prime position to take his franchise passer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
  4. MoorenMoore

MoorenMoore Rookie

If Harbaugh is selected to coach the 49ers; I just request success on the field....

5. agreed BBB

I think the only reason he would leave Stanford is for in this order:

Michigan

49ers

6. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

And after today, I think the Maize and Blue could be a big possibility. However, his decision hinges on Senor Luck. If he stays, I can't see Jimmy going anywhere. I can see him staying in Stanford for another season and hoping for that Pac 10 title (which we all know will probably stay in Eugene since most of their core isn't really going anywhere) and also means that there's a really good chance that I have to deal with Rich Rod for another year.

7. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

scUM is going to throw massive amounts of loot to Harbaugh. No way can he turn that down unless he really wants to go to the NFL.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Wait, what? They hired someone.