49ers, Raiders Consider Joint Stadium

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Sweets, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders have met to discuss the possibility of sharing a new football stadium in the Bay Area, Vittorio Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle reports. "We've put our teams together," 49ers CEO Jed York said Monday at the NFL 101 event in Los Angeles. "It doesn't mean we're going to find the right deal that fits for both teams, but we're certainly going to get a look at those options." The location of a new stadium is an issue. The 49ers secured $114 million in public financing on a proposed $1 billion 68,500-seat stadium (ETA: 2015) next to their team headquarters in Santa Clara, but former team president Carmen Policy is holding out hope for a stadium in San Francisco. "You have a league (the NFL) that has no plan in place to support the building of new stadiums," Policy said in a recent interview with the Chronicle. "You can't finance that deal in Santa Clara. I'm not sure you can in San Francisco, either... "I believe the league has an internal belief that the only way to build a world-class stadium in the Bay Area would be a two-team stadium," said Policy. The Raiders, whose lease at the Oakland Coliseum expires after the 2013 season, are open to sharing a stadium with the 49ers. "We have said repeatedly that we have an open mind with respect to our stadium solution," Raiders CEO Amy Trask said at the same event. "An open mind means an open mind as to sharing a facility with the 49ers. I say to Jed regularly that we should have not only an open mind to the sharing of the facility, but to the location of the facility which we might share. And so there are a lot of options for us to consider."

Source: macsfootballblog

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

You can have the Coliseum when we move back to LA.

3. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

ummm....baseball bats, chains...guns, knives....riots in the parking lot between Raider and Niner fans...woot! :icon_cool:

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

:laughy32: You're funny...wrong but funny

They won't be there at the same time except for one game...

5. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Why not... Both teams badly need a new stadium anyway.

6. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

Recent events show this is a bad idea.

7. It's time for another good idea.....bad idea.

[​IMG]

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Pretty much throw it put the window...lol.

9. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

They are going to make Alcatraz a football stadium.

10. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

As was stated above....with the preseason battle of the bay cancelled they'd only be there at the same time once every 4 years. Im a huge niner fan and even i think thats probably best right now. Were in the great recession. The teams play right across the water from each other anyway.

11. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

So, once every 4 years..you have to deal with this mess? I don't even know that "beefed up" security will do the trick. People getting jumped in bathrooms. They going to stand in there, too? It's absolutely insane. This sounded like a good idea before this mess happened.

12. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

Just because they won't play each other doesn't mean ignorant Niner fans and ignorant Raider fans won't go to games just to spite each other and cause drama.

13. Chipper10

^^ Very true.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Why dont they do it now, then? Their current stadiums are 5 miles apart, and have been for longer than most GIF posters have been alive, and yet Id wager this is the first time most of you have heard ANYTHING about the rivalry involving "serious" violence.

15. Chipper10

Because they have their own stadiums. I just think it may become a territorial thing. Especially if any or all of this is gang related.

16. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

No offense bro but you are talking out of your butt on this one. Gang related lol. Ive been going to games at both stadiums for the better part of 30+ years, and this is a non-issue being blown way out of proportion by a bunch of people with no grasp on the situation.

17. Chipper10

I'm not talking out my butt. I am just stating a thought on the situation. Why is it hard to believe that it could be gang related? Seriously.

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Because it's just football beef. The guy getting shot was unrelated, as they were both Raider fans, but the fight in the stands was clearly just some dudes who had too much to drink. There aren't even really any rival OAK/SF gangs anyway to speak of. It's just a regional rivalry like New York/New Jersey that happened to blow up this once for the first time in the FIFTY YEARS that they have been playing together within a stones throw of each other (and yes, they have shared stadiums before from time to time, with nothing like this going down). I say you are talking out of your butt because you have no first-hand knowledge of the area, its people, or history, and youre snapping to judgement that its gang related.

19. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

By what has happened in the last few days, I think we can put that idea to bed.

20. Chipper10

I'm fairly sure that me making an opinion on the situation, based on some of the pieces released, that my assumption wasn't that far fetched. You're right. I know nothing of the area. And I'm not snapping to any judgement. Just an idea thrown into the mix. Seriously.