49ers Reportedly Will Release QB Alex Smith, If They Can’t Trade Him

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

According to the NFL Network, the 49ers will attempt to trade Alex Smith, and if they can’t, they will grant him his release. Ian Rapoport of the network said that the 49ers will release him early in free agency if a trade can not be struck.

The 49ers, apparently, were impressed by how Smith comported himself after he was benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick, and they wanted to reward him. The 49ers could have kept Smith for next season if he remained on the roster by April 1 but then the team would be obligated to pay his 2013 salary of $6.5 million.

With trading or releasing him, the 49ers will realize a needed salary-cap savings but with him gone, they will not have a veteran backup they know can win, which can be key since Colin Kaepernick is a running quarterback and vunerable to injury.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

why trade for him if you can sign him in free agency.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

There may just be enough interest in him that a team would be willing to trade for him. Jed York isn't convinced though that Smith will be gone...

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

If you can trade for him then your competition is smaller, open free agency....30 more teams are now in competition for YOUR player...that's why...

5. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

He is only due 8-9m next year if he hits the market he will get more than that due to a bidding war so you get him for a cheaper deal.

6. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

Exactly. There is enough demand and a weak enough draft class I think they not only get something, I'm betting 3rd rounder or higher.

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i agree. i don't know a scenario where someone running the west coast offense and has a desperate need for a QB wouldn't at least consider giving a decent draft pick for Smith. He would be pretty damn good for a team wanting to run a lot of dink and dunk. he is very, very efficient in the short and intermediate game.

8. misfitz

Cleveland is a very possible landing spot. He has already played under Norv who helped him from a 1-11 rookie Td-Int ratio to 16-16 Td-Int in his 2nd year. He played very well that season. Several years later with Smith developing as he has the past 2 years I can see him playing very well under Norv Turner again.

9. CaptainStubing

hell, didn't arizona give a 2nd and cromartie for kevin kolb? isn't alex smith as good as kolb?

10. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I could see Cle or Jax being real possibilities. Some pieces in place at both places already. I was thinking KC, but after Andy got there that opinion changed. He's going to want to find his own project most likely. Minn maybe too???

11. CaptainStubing

yep, all of those are possibilities. not sure what kind of offense they are going to run in buffalo but they may need a qb. the jets would be smart to look at him but they're not smart.

12. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

I like Cle and Jax too. Jax's new GM is best friends with Greg Roman, could play a factor. Supposedly Jets aren't interested at all.

13. bossco

bossco Rookie

Re: 49ers Reportedly Will Release QB Alex Smith, If They Can’t Trade Him

Is he is released i think he would be a great fit in az. They have a grood wr core.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

That Kolb transaction may eliminate Arizona from trading for Smith...thoughts?

15. misfitz

He should go to Chicago and replace Jay Cutler!

16. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

^Of course......

17. CaptainStubing

i think you may be right ward. the wound from the kolb trade/contract might be too fresh to try it again with smith.

18. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

No thanks in Cleveland, Smith did well in a varied WCO, but the Browns are again switching to an aggressive vertical passing offense. Weeden has strengths there and should get another year, even though he'll likely still have to win the job in camp. I'd be ok with Smith as competition, but I think he's looking for somewhere he has the best chance to start, and I don't think that situation is in Cleveland.

19. CaptainStubing

yep, smith will need a right fit and if the browns are going vertical, then we can scratch them off the list. i'm not sure what all of the teams are planning on doing on offense in 2013, but smith will only fit well in an offense that is mainly going to focus on short and intermediate stuff.

20. misfitz

He showed big play ability in this same system as a second year player...........why do you think he wouldnt be much better in it now after he has become a much better player?

He know's this system and has worked with Norv Turner before.