49ers Reportedly Will Release QB Alex Smith, If They Can’t Trade Him

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I dunno, I dont think it would be a bad thing to have some younger hotshot like Alex in the mix to pressure Weeden.

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I'm not saying its not possible, just that it doesn't make much sense to me. Chud already said they're going vertical, and while I think competition in camp is exactly what the team needs at QB, I just don't think Smith is the right choice for Cleveland in that respect.

Plus, like I said, I don't think Smith is interested in a competition like that. Jacksonville makes much more sense to me.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

:scratch: i guess i don't understand this. smith has never been a big play/deep ball quarterback under any o.c. i think some of them tried, but without any success. i think smith has become smarter about his own abilities and harbaugh figured out the best way to utilize smith's skill set and those are the 2 reasons smith looked better the last couple of years.

smith would go back to looking very below average if he was thrown into a vertical offense. he is not cam newton, RG3, or josh freeman. his efficiency as an nfl qb drops dramatically in the deep game.

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I was just taking a dig at Weedens age.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I recognized it, just figured I'd brush past it and add some substance to my original post.

6. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

WRs are good but the OL is definitely not. Alex takes enough sacks as it is. And the run game is a question as well. Defense is good though.

7. bossco

bossco Rookie

Re: 49ers Reportedly Will Release QB Alex Smith, If They Can’t Trade Him

Now there is reports of kc being interested. A decent place for alex. A good running game and if they keep bowe he has a solid #1 . And kc is were ex 9er qb's go to retire/die

8. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

at least the basic main color is almost the same.