49ers Say They Are Not Looking To Replace RB Frank Gore

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, May 8, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Running back Frank Gore enters the final year of his contract, and the 49ers have now selected running backs in the past three drafts. While the 49ers are planning for life without Gore as the 49ers' every-down back, 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said the club has no intention of running him out of town. "I think you always have to plan for the future," 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said upon the selection of Oklahoma State running Kendall Hunter. "We look at Frank as a 49er and a guy that we would love to have here for his career. This isn't a move to try to replace Frank by any stretch. He's a 49er. Those are the guys that we want to keep in the fold. This is just a chance for us to add a quality player at a position that we needed another player at." The 49ers selected 236-pound Anthony Dixon in the sixth round of the 2010 draft and a year earlier, the 49ers invested a third-round selection in power-running Glen Coffee who abruptly retired last summer during training camp. Dixon ended up sharing time with veteran Brian Westbrook after Gore's injury and gained 237 yards on 70 attempts.

Source: Comcast Sports

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  2. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Frank Gore is still one of the best if not thee best offensive player on that team. But Kendall Hunter was there and they snagged a great player. With Dixon in the mix id say the niners have 3 good runners. Besides lets face it Gore will be 29 before we know it. So who knows maybe the next great niner running back is already on the team.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Gore rprobably has a couple years left...we all know with the RBs that they die suddenly. Niners got to be prepared.

4. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

The thing about Gore is I think he still has a few years left but he never plays a full season and I think that helps him. Now Harbaugh can give him some breathers something Singletary didn't do.