49ers Select Missouri DE Aldon Smith (Rd.1, No.7)

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Apr 28, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

With the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Missouri DE Aldon Smith. Smith has a chance to turn into a disruptive starting NFL 4-3 end if he can improve his strength and tenacity and become more stout against the run. He's got so much potential. He's a fluid, natural pass rusher who overcomes lack of excellent get-off with terrific hand usage, elite lateral-mobility, very good closing speed, and a strong desire to get to the quarterback. Provides some value maintaining outside contain, pursuing from the backside, and making plays outside of the box, but could struggle a bit against the downhill running game.

Source: NFL.com

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

wow. didn't see that pick coming. he any good?

3. This one come way out of left field.......

Smith was a riser but I didn't think he go this high. Really thought Gabbert would be the pick.

4. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

I had Quinn rated higher but smith is still a pretty good pick i would have preferred Prince though

5. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

What the heck are the 49ers thinking with this pick?!!! Hell, I would have been pissing myself with happiness if they would have picked Gabbert, but if your going to pick a defensive player I know more important positions that need to be filled first!!

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Gabbert sucks and you have no pass rush.

7. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

Gabbert doesn't suck and will be 100 percent better than Newton could even dream of being behind a good o-line of course. Gabbert is a smart pro style QB and I think he will be successful in the NFL. You are right about our pass protection though and I would have rather seen an o-lineman picked before a DE!!

8. misfitz

Red hes not going to play DE in a 3-4 he will be a OLB

9. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

I gotta say i wanted prince but no one prolly wanted to trade up so they took the pass rusher they needed. Guy is a freak athlete with a non stop motor.

10. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Smith's gonna be good. Watch some tape on him you will see what he is capable of. I say 2- 3 years is when he will be really effective. As for the O-line comment the majority of the line is set for a few years. I believe even Parcells had Smith rated after Miller.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Gabbert is not a pro-style qb, he barely took any snaps under center in college, I didnt say anyhing about your pass pro, and Smith is a linebacker.

12. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

People on the Niner board are saying he's going to play DE haha.

13. I like Smith alot but they should have gone with Quinn imho.

14. misfitz

Quinn was likely taken off their board because of the tumor they said a few teams had doctors that wouldnt clear him and say hes completely safe

15. I dropped him on my mock because of concerns of his brain tumor.

He'll still be a heck of a player....a bit risky at No. 7 though. But the same can be said for Aldon Smith.

16. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

What I like about Smith is his split time at the combine. The way he uses his hands is going to help him big time IMO. Even after game changers he just seemed like the kind of player we needed at that position.

17. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Everything I heard about Smith was that he ultimatly could be the best pass rusher in this draft

18. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i would have gone with quinn because he is the truth...aldon is a lot like JPP, its gonna be hit or miss with him at olb

19. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

IMO thats where it helps having a DC that has experience in both college and Pro's

20. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

That's what I am hearing also. I like his hand techinique.