49ers Training Camp 8/8

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by BarlOwens, Aug 9, 2007.

1. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

It was a fairly boring practice...mostly working on form and technique...afternoon practice was completely padless.........few points

OL: Our rookie OT staley struggled a bit..looks like he's going through early rookie mental mistakes, false starting a few times and getting burned on the edge....

Harris is still garbage...im fairly sure a 5 year old could bully this guy into falling over backwards...

I got to believe even with his early issues, Staley is still a better option than Harris...

The O-line looked sloppy, giving up quite a bit of pressure on the edges...not sure if that was more due to our defense playing real well, bad technique or just a lack of intensity without the pads...

LBs..great speed from the edges, they were putting serious pressure on the OL during a 20 minute padless passing session....

Banta-Cain has HUGE strides....reminds me more of a receiver when he's running than an LB...

highlight: Manny Lawson chasing Alex Smith all the way to the outside and yelling in his ear as he hovered right behind him the whole time "you ain't fast, you ain't fast"...he would have pummeled Smith if it was an actual scrimmage...

CBs: Nate Clements looked like absolute crap....Taylor Jacobs made a fool of him during the one on one routes...Jacobs completely turned him around on one play with a nasty cut from out to in and then torched clements with his speed all the way to the endzone...He returned punts in the morning practice and looked decent, showed some good agility and quickness..

Spencer looked like he has the last year and a half...he's got plummeritis...big contract and no effort to better himself...

didn't see much of Tarell Brown at all...disappointing as we were talking about him on the way down to camp, hoping he'd be one of the better stories of camp...

TE: Davis was thrown to the ground by an LB during the morning session, not sure why, but didn't seem to go any further than him getting back up and heading back to his line...

Zach Hilton..6'8 263 pounds..this guy is huge..and he moves pretty well...I doubt he'll make the squad but I have to believe someone should pick this guy up and give him an opportunity..he made some nice catches...Beast noted that he did take plays off tho...Sometimes his cuts would be clean, other times they were extremely lazy...

Delanie Walker is an athlete..this guy can MOVE...he may not be as fast as Davis, but he is definitely just as agile if not more...I can see them lining him up at WR quite a bit this year...

WR: Jacobs was the standout..pure and simple...guy was putting on a show all day long...

Lelie got punked in the 2nd practice, drove into the ground and flipped over, took him a minute to get up...this guy is GLBUTT..so seeing that worries me, he just looks flat out FRAGILE...he does have speed tho, burned by the CB a few times, and was underthrown by Smith who hesitated on the pass for some reason...only pass all day smith didn't look comfortable on...

Brandon Williams..isn't making the squad....muffed a few more punts (big freaking suprise) and was outperformed by guys I've never heard of during the route running and passing scrimmage...

DJack...didn't see him in the 2nd practice...1st practice looked like he made a few nice grabs including one in traffic...they need to work on their timing/chemistry a bit..4 more weeks, hopefully they smooth it out..

Hill...ran a couple clean slant routes, nothing too impressive for me, but better than his competition...

Maxwell...world league scrub...he may have been good in germany but his attitude is pathetic in camp....during the 2nd practice stretching he was half assing it big time, it was like his mind wasn't there and he kept mugging the crowd for some reason...

Battle..they were running him out of the slot in the morning practice and he looked real good, caught everything from what I saw, showing that same consistency as last year where he only had 1 drop (even with a fractured hand)..Returned a few punts and proved he should be our main PR IMO......this guy is animal in open space...

RB: Gore was running through the motions the whole day as he still has his cast on, and the feeling around the camp was he wasn't going to play until opening day...

Moran Norris is bulked the heck up over the spring, this guy looks like he'd hurt you just looking at you..an extra 20 or so pounds will do that....he made a few nice catches, but since there was no padwork he didn't get to show off any of the strength he more than likely gained...

Robinson made a nice run up the gut during some of the running drills, some nice cuts, he still needs to free up his running a bit, still too rigid...

Clayton, didn't see too much to get a real feel for where he stands...

Hicks...eh...

QB: Smith was clean all day long except for the one bad pass to Lelie..He showed some good arm strength on a few rollouts, and he was pinpoint from the pocket...

Dilfer, looked horrible, was floating mostly everything in the morning practice...

Hill might get a receiver killed if he sees playing time this year, he was forcing it a bit, and he didn't look nearly as comfortable throwing the ball to a spot before the receiver made his break...

Getsy, pretty even running neck and neck with Hill for that 3rd spot, may win out due to youthful potential...

All I can think of right now, sure Beast will add more to it....

2. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

Kwame Harris walks a little fruity.

3. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

Sorry to hear that. Oh wait, no I'm not. I've been saying for months around here that Clements was highly, highly overrated. Ya'll completely overpaid for him and he's not the shut down corner he's been made out to be in the press and by 49ers fans.

Great report by the way. Thanks for sharing with us.

4. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

I hope Jason Webster gets burned on every play :icon_twisted:

5. wide right

Fair enough. But isn't Webster playing for the veteran minimum? What are you wasting on Clements?

6. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

wasting? they haven't played a game yet..not even an exhibition game...as much as Im down on his performance on ONE practice day, Im not judging him til I see his performance gameday.....

7. wide right

I'm judging him based on past performance. I've been annoyed with Clements for years. He's good but not in the same league as a Champ Bailey, Ronde Barber, or Chris McAlister. He'll have a good game here and there, maybe get a few INTs but watch him burn your team when it matters. There's a lot more talented receivers in the NFC West then he's used to facing in the AFC East and he sure had his troubles here. He's far from great like he's been made out to be. That's all I'm saying. You've now got your first glimpse at it. The best is yet to come.

8. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

It's practice without pads. Yet you still claim to think Jason Webster is something special. :icon_wink:

9. wide right

Damn, the 49ers fans are stubborn about Clements. The difference is vet minimum vs highest paid at his position. You'll see his true worth soon enough.

10. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

Webster is crap niner fans should know since he got burned half the time.

11. Red&Gold

Red&Gold Starter

I'll bet his true worth is still an improvement to our team. When your secondary gets toasted as much as ours did (despite Harris' best efforts) then you need help - and we brought help in.

We also overpaid for Jonas Jennings, but then a quick look at some game film makes it clear that Nolan didn't want to have his QB's blindside protected by Kwame Harris.

12. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Same was said about Jonas Jennings that he was crap and when he is healthy and on the field he does well and really helps the line.

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

We didn't have a choice in what the 49ers paid for Nate, we just have to hope that Nolan and company saw enough to make a good pick and hope that the Nate we see is the one that was spectacular back in the day.

Thanx for the report Barl

I'd love to hear about Patrick Willis, I've been hearing great things hopefully it's all true.

14. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

Also, I got a kick out of the autograph session at the end of practice when Joe Nedney signed one of the club 49 girls pink helmet...only because Alex Smith had signed it first....I told Alex as he was signing it, he was signing his internet death warrant, that pic would be crucified....

Willis was signing autographs during the lunch break and he sounded like a genuine class act....we'll see....

15. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Good crap, Barl.

16. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

I didn't read too many reports on his ability to cover but he impressed te hell out of me. He has quick feet and even quicker hips. he can cover a crapload of ground without looking like he's running at full speed. Very smooth in and out of breaks without losing too much speed. I was VERY impressed with his hips, he looked like a cb, he truley did. When signing autographs i was standing next to him..he made me feel small. He has HUGE forearms.... he is built to tackle and i can see him making us forget all about losing JP's versatlity. the only thing that bothered me was people calling him P-Willy.....i felt like smacking them...don't know why but it pissed me off.

Sweets- you might want to dump your crush on Spencer and pick up one on Willis....I know i am lol

Agreed. First one out there and went through the entire line...class act for sure.

17. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

With a smile on his face the whole time..and he didnt just brush off peoples questions either...Looked like he gave honest answers and he looked directly at the person when they asked the question....Thats showing respect for the people who make it possible to get paid so well for what he does..even if NinerJan prolly scared the crap out of him...I know when she stood next to me I was scared as heck...Looked like a stalker clown with a photobook of all her fatal attractions...

18. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

LOL

19. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

That is just to weird big man.:icon_eek:

20. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

No doubt. I'm expecting him to add pics from his cell to Smut.