49ers WR Kyle Williams To Honor Slain Friend During 2013 Season

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by DaBears22, Sep 4, 2013.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

As Kyle Williams suits up for his first game in more than nine months, he will pull his No. 10 San Francisco 49ers jersey over a new No. 81 tattoo on his inner left forearm that honors a former teammate.

Williams added the fresh ink during the offseason as a tribute to a former Arizona State teammate, Tyrice Thompson, who died Feb. 2 from injuries suffered when he was stabbed Jan. 27 while working at a popular Scottsdale, Ariz., nightclub. Williams will play in Thompson's honor this season -- the fourth-year pro's return from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee that required surgery and ended his 2012 season in late November.

"He was family to everybody," Williams said. "He's a guy I played with at ASU, and kind of like a big brother to me. When he was here [alive] he was always looking over me and there for me, always sharing wisdom."

Now that he is healthy at last, the 25-year-old Williams has a chance to be San Francisco's No. 2 wide receiver opposite Anquan Boldin. Williams also will handle some kick return duties for the NFC champions.

Source: ESPN