A Better Option Than Kicking The Extra Point At The 15?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by DawkinsINT, Aug 17, 2014.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I heard Ray Didinger bring this up yesterday, and I think I agree with him. Instead of pushing the extra point out from the 2 yard line to the 15, why not move it closer to the 1? A 33 yard kick isn't crap these days. It would probably lead to a lot more decisions of going for two and adding excitement when most go for a bathroom break.

Any thoughts?

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

So kick it from closer?

3. DawkinsINT

It would lead to teams going for 2 a lot more. It's about an elevated level of options and excitement.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

There have been a few misses on extra points...

5. Steve12

Yea I like the longer kick.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

I just like the normal extra point. There was nothing wrong with it until Goddell said there was something wrong with it...lol.

7. DawkinsINT

It's boring. More 2 point conversion attempts would be a lot more exciting to me.

DaBears22 likes this.
  8. Steve12

I agree. I guess I'm maybe just missing how kicking from closer will mean more conversation tries.

9. DawkinsINT

Because the chances of converting from the 1 yard line goes way up percentage wise, many coaches would try it more often.

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Like Free throws in basketball, make the player who scored the TD kick the PAT from the 2. That would be exciting to watch.

Imagine if say, Adrian Peterson sucks at kicking PATs, and the Vikings are down 7 points with seconds to go, and 1st and goal at the 1. What would they do?

Steve12 and DawkinsINT like this.
  11. DawkinsINT

That's certainly an out of the box idea. I'd like to see when a defensive lineman scores on a scooped up fumble.

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Love to see teams grow balls and go for 2 more frequently,but i doubt any of the coaches will do it during regular season play.

13. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Read somewhere awhile back that all head coaches or most of them have specific situations that they would try for a 2 pointer. They all go by the percentage of success vs where they are at in the game and/or they go with their gut feeling. I agree with moving the PAT to the 1 yard line would increase the use of going for 2 points.

14. Steve12

That would be awesome until Aaron Rodgers got up there and looked a hamstring or something.

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

fake handoff to AD,bridgewaters walks in for two? lol

16. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Soooooo...crazy weather we've been having out here, amirite?

17. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

do something cause extra points are getting boring as hell.

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Hey so how bout them Dodgers, eh?

19. Steve12

You're really confusing me lol

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro