Attorney Claims Dolphins OT Jonathan Martin Endured 'Malicious' Physical Attack

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by SRW, Nov 7, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Attorney David Cornwell, who has been retained by Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin, issued a statement in defense of his client. Cornwell took issue with the sentiment that questioned Martin’s toughness, saying that Martin was a victim of constant harassment.

“Jonathan Martin’s toughness is not at issue. Jonathan has started every game with the Miami Dolphins since he was drafted in 2012. At Stanford, he was the anchor for Jim Harbaugh’s ‘smash mouth’ brand of football and he protected Andrew Luck’s blind side,†Cornwell said.

“The issue is Jonathan’s treatment by his teammates. Jonathan endured harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker room hazing. For the entire season-and-a-half that he was with the Dolphins, he attempted to befriend the same teammates who subjected him to the abuse with the hope that doing so would end the harassment. This is a textbook reaction of victims of bullying. Despite these efforts, the taunting continued. Beyond the well-publicized voice mail with its racial epithet, Jonathan endured a malicious physical attack on him by a teammate, and daily vulgar comments such as the quote at the bottom. These facts are not in dispute.

“Eventually, Jonathan made a difficult choice. Despite his love for football, Jonathan left the Dolphins. Jonathan looks forward to getting back to playing football. In the meantime, he will cooperate fully with the NFL investigation."

Source: National Football Post

SteveRobWhatever's Take: Malicious physical attack is not something the Dolphins organization wanted to hear. It looks like the only winners in this story are going to be the lawyers, who will be billing hourly for this legal mess to work itself out.

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Would like to hear what the physical attack was, but it doesn't sound so bad if he didn't get hurt.

Being upset at an "I'm gonna bang your sister" insult? If not just for the lawsuit, the kid is mentally soft.

3. SRW

Damn, if that's considered hazing then I am a criminal. Lord knows how many sisters I sexually assaulted verbally on the field. It was smack talk 101.

4. DawkinsINT

Wait until the lawyer reveals all the Yo Mama jokes Martin had to endure...the horror!!!!

5. SRW

You know? I really want to know what the 'malicious' physical attack is all about. That opens up a whole other can of legal worms. It better not be something like a purple nurple.

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

That's just wrong, it was a wet willie.

7. DawkinsINT

An attack known as the "Pink Belly Incident"...

8. SRW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40]Dramatic Look - YouTube[/ame]

9. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCNqKrX1sx8]Full Metal Jacket (1987) - The Blanket Party (It's just a bad dream fatboy) (2 Min 8 Sec) - YouTube[/ame]
    was it this?

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Perhaps so, but that doesn't excuse anyone involved in the "bullying" (I don't like that word here tbh, but it will have to do I suppose) and harassment. If anything, IMO, it makes it worse if that is the case.

Believe it or not, I personally have no problem with people being non-PC crap talking rods, so long as they know where to draw the line between idle smack talk and genuinely hurting someone...and realize that the line can vary drastically from person to person. The term "pick on someone your own size" shouldn't apply solely to physical size and strength.

11. SRW

Here's my thing, at what point...as a man...do you simply look the other guy right in the eye and tell him exactly how you feel? What the hell is this passive aggressive act where you befriend the bully in an effort to get in his good graces? At that point he owns you.

12. bossco

bossco Rookie

Were I grew up crap talking was a normal thing. I always drew the line when it came to moms but anything else was fair game.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

13. SRW

If you weren't my teammate, I would talk about your mom, sister, aunt...whatever it took to get inside someone's head. All I cared about was throwing someone off their game and capitalizing on their mistakes. But not teammates, you have to draw the line there.

14. DawkinsINT

Really, guys? After like 5th grade you took Mom jokes and Sister jokes seriously??

How could this guy survive NFL smack talk from opponents if he really got upset at junior high school jabs from teammates.

He definitely needed to be toughened up. Did they go too far? Probably, but it seems more and more to me that the dude is mentally weak.

15. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Classy

16. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

At this point going on the "media" reports on this this story, I guess I'm on Incognito's side. IDK so much stuff being reported but every day seems like Martin's story is contradicted. Basically I don't really care anymore but before all of this, the name Incognito would have reminded me of penalties and cheap shots............................

17. DawkinsINT

It's not classy or funny. As a grown man though, especially one in a tough environment, you know it's only said to get a rise out of you. If you know who your family members are that they are making fun of, you realize how absurd the whole comment is. In no way should someone over the age of 13 take it seriously.

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Well, we aren't really talking about grown men here, other than physically. We're talking about kids a few years out of high school for the most part, and football players to boot, who generally aren't what most people would consider well-adjusted or emotionally mature for their age. Someone saying that exact thing to me now wouldn't bother me a bit, at our age it is, as you said, absurd; laughable really under any circumstances...but when I was in my early twenties I probably would have lost my crap if someone had said the same thing with actual malice behind it.

Why didn't anyone say this same thing when Steve Smith got all worked up about Jenkins trashing his wife?

19. DawkinsINT

In your 20s you would be worked up about yo momma jokes and what people would say they would do to your sister even though you knew it wasn't a realistic possibility? Really?

Did you play actually play sports growing up?
    1st thing: Measure up your opponent's physical flaws to your advantage.
    2nd thing: Measure up your opponent's mental flaws to your advantage.

20. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

At the end of all this, the real issue will be revealed as the bullying & malicious physical attack of an NFL pass rush...