Bears Coach Lovie Smith Takes Issue With Criticism Of Rookie DE Shea McClellin

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Sweets, May 4, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Coach Lovie Smith took issue with those who called first-round pick Shea McClellin too small to play left DE at 6-3, 260. Of 17 teams using a 4-3 alignment, the average starting size for left DE is 6-3 1/2, 268. Robert Mathis plays it at 6-2, 245 and Detroit's Cliff Avril is 6-3 260, same size as McClellin.

Source: CBSSports

2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

its no joke because hes white and not playing 5tech or OLB..he doesnt look the part but the dude can play

clay matthews is a good comparison for him, hes relentless....and even a bit bigger i believe. Not the BEST fit, but he can play across from julius freaking peppers lol

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i've heard people questioning his size as a 4-3 DE. i think his 'size' is fine for what they want him to do.

however, i question his strength and athleticism. he was overpowered at times in college when facing larger tackles. there's a possibility in the big boy league when facing huge, strong o-tackles each and every week that mcclellin could be a complete bust but we'll see if he can juice up and learn how to fight off nfl blocks.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Who knows...maybe this kid ends up bigger, stronger & a good pick. Point of the moment is that he's not ready right now for what we need.

Teams already know to run/roll away from Peppers. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how running at McClellin will nullify a lot that he's got going for him.

& just comparing size i.e. Mathis/Avril rings hollow. Not just size that's the issue.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, we've all known really big guys that really weren't very strong and we've known smaller guys with incredible strength.

to just measure someone because of their 'size' is only part of the story. and, plus, everyone knows girth is what chicks dig.

6. Payton3434

Payton3434 Rookie

I have complete faith in their choice although I wasn't a fan of it at the time of drafting him. After doing some searching and investigating it seems that Shea McClellin is as good a pick as any. Come to think of it, the Bears were critisized with Gary Fencik playing safety what they failed to mention is he was a friggen psycho. I'm not trying to compare Shea to Gary but it's a similar situation. I look forward to seeing what he is able to do this season and I only hope he stays healthy the entire season. We Bears fans got robbed last season when top draft pick Gabe Carimi got injured early last season.

Bear Down Chicago Bears!!!!

7. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

We can really say anything till we have seen him play...I have faith that he will do well

Bear Down

8. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Good to see Bear fans with faith tho I'm at a loss where that faith comes from. It's not as tho the Bears have shown any draft acumen nor has Emery.

Yes, we'll just have to wait & see but at this moment in time, it's easy to say the Bears have complicated their position in the draft by projecting too much, too early. That mentality's usually warranted in later rounds, not the 1st.

To