Bears LB Brian Urlacher Announces Retirement

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 86WARD, May 22, 2013.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Brian Urlacher, former Chicago Bears All-Pro linebacker, announced his retirement from the NFL via Twitter on Wednesday, three days shy of his 35th birthday.

Urlacher was an unsigned free agent but spent his entire career in Chicago and retires as a Bear.

“After spending a lot of time this spring thinking about my NFL future, I have made a decision to retire,†Urlacher wrote in a statement.

“Although I could continue playing, I’m not sure I would bring a level of performance or passion that’s up to my standards. When considering this, along with the fact that I could retire after a 13-year career wearing only one jersey for such a storied franchise, my decision became pretty clear. I want to thank all of the people in my life that have helped me along the way. I will miss my teammates, my coaches and the great Bears fans. I’m proud to say that I gave all of you everything I had every time I took the field. I will miss this great game, but I leave it with no regrets.â€

Appearing Wednesday on radio on the Dan Patrick Show, Urlacher said his body was telling him it was time to retire and that he didn't want to wear another jersey.

"I decided I didn't want to play for anybody else," Urlacher said. "I still have a ton of respect for the Bears. It didn’t work out the way I wanted it to, but I played 13 years for one of the best franchises in NFL history. I’m very proud of that, and I'm happy I won't have to wear another jersey."

Urlacher said he didn't see the point of playing another season.

"Fourteen years, 13 ... not a big difference. I played all 13 with the same team and I'm proud of that."

Source: Chicago Tribune

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
  2. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

He had a hell of a HOF career. He and Lewis should enter Canton at the same time.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Glad to see him hang them up instead of sign and get pushed around with another team...

4. groenator

groenator Rookie

Another great player.... Good luck to him and his family...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

agreed

6. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Retirement was the best option for Urlacher at age 35. Injuries have caught up to him the last two years. Thanks for the 13 years of service you gave the Chicago Bears Brian. See ya in Canton one day.

7. Badger

Badger Rookie

Good riddance. The Packers' route through the NFC North just got a bit easier.

8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I'm glad he's retiring because I hate the Bears, but always liked him. It makes hating the Bears easier.

9. Badger

Badger Rookie

I felt like he had kind of been a jerk lately. I know last season, when fans were critical of Cutler and the Bears he made some comment about how he doesnt care what the fans think. Not smart, Urlacher!

10. DawkinsINT

It's his style of play that I've always liked, not so much his personality off the field (which I really don't know much about).

11. DaBearsrule4ever

Forgive, forget, and think of the positive because Urlacher has a lot more positive than negative.

12. Badger

Badger Rookie

I couldnt cheer for and celebrate the career of someone who makes it clear that the fans dont matter to him. That why you will never hear me speak well of Favre, Jennings or Longwell.

13. DaBearsrule4ever

I've heard a few negative things about Urlacher but that's all it is, a few things. All the positive things about him outweigh the negative ones.

14. DawkinsINT

I saw him kick a puppy.

15. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

He kicked it out of the way to save it from Vick.

16. DawkinsINT

:rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

I did not see that one coming. Bravo, sir.

17. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

The 'like' button's acting up so I just gotta say:

:laughy32: