Best Single Season By A HB Ever

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Jihad Joe, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Discuss

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

twinkyerson because he had the most yards. Discussion over.

3. Jihad Joe

No. What about Faulk 1999. Roger Craig being the first to break 1,000/1,000. Tomlinson breaking the TD record. OJs 2000 yards in 14 games

4. Jihad Joe

Why is twinkyerson 2100 yards in 16 games better then OJs 2000 in 14?

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Not sure of everyone else's numbers, but in the discussion should be Jim Brown in 1963.

Yards rushing per game: 133.1
    Ave per rush: 6.4 (that's not a typo)
    1863 yards rushing in a 14 game schedule.

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

After figuring out where Jihad Joe was going with this topic, and looking up some numbers.....O.J.'s 1973 season probably is the best ever.

7. Jihad Joe

I'm gonna go with Tomlinson 2006 season. 1800 yards. 28 rushing TDs. 56 catch for 500 yards and 3 more TDs

8. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

It was a jab at ragman's theory about why emmitt is the best ever.

9. Jihad Joe

He is right because I am a Cowboy fan as well as Supreme Grand Dragon Overlord of this thread, and you shall recant and proclaim Emmett Smiths 1994 season the best ever or thou shall be smoted

10. Jihad Joe

I know. It was a counter jab at you because I hate you

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I was going to suggest '58 myself.

YDS - 1527
    RYPG - 127
    AVG - 5.9
    TD - 17 (!!!!!)

...in a TWELVE GAME SEASON. Great numbers, sure, but to put it in some perspective, the second leading rusher in the league that year had 791 yards. Nobody else even touched 50%. He ran for nearly as many yards as his quarterback threw for, and by himself had a third more rush attempts than the team had pass attempts, so he assumedly did all that against teams that had nothing to worry about defensively other than him alone, to boot.

Craigs 1000/1000 and OJ's 2000 are right there too, for all the obvious reasons.

12. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

Chris Johnson

358 att
    2,006 yards
    5.7 avg
    125.4 ypg
    91T longest
    14 tds
    50 catches
    503 yards
    69T longest
    2 tds

2509 total yards from scrimmage is a NFL record. He averaged 6.2 yards a touch. That has to be among the best among running backs with at least 50 catches or more.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Barry Foster. 1992.

[​IMG]

:icon_cheesygrin:

14. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, i agree that yds from scrimmage is more important than just rushing yards. LT's 2006 season was sick. it seemed every play the ball was in his hands. he WAS their entire offense it seemed.

faulks 1999 season was ridiculous too.

15. Jihad Joe

I was reallllllly close to picking that season

16. CaptainStubing

as far as the old-timers that played before i started watching the nfl, it appears on the stat sheet that brown's 1963 season and O.J.'s 1973 season were the biggest RB seasons.

17. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

OJ Simpson 1975.. 23 TDs to go with 2243 yards from scrimmage!

Under The Radar Notables:

Priest Holmes 2002 ---> 2110 all purpose yards, 27 TDs
    Ahman Green 2003 ----> 2250 all purpose yards, 20 TDs

Looking at all the TD numbers from years past makes me wonder, what the hell happened to the RB position?

18. Jihad Joe

It pretty much devolved. Physically go look at the HB prospects from the 90's and compare them to know. It was common back then to get a 230 pound back that ran a 4.3 40. Guys like Donald Brown and David Wilson would be 4th round picks back in 1995. Some of the better athletes wanted to play that postion. Now with the NFL nowadays, the best athletes at the HS level are avoiding the HB position

19. CaptainStubing

rule changes have made this a passing league slowly over the last 40 years. offenses can generate more yardage and points through the air nowadays. it's as simple as that. look at the % of run vs. pass 40 years ago versus today. back then, offenses ran the ball about 60% of the time. today, it has completely flip-flopped and teams pass about 60% of the time.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

Chris Johnson's season doesn't get a lot of love...probably because he's been basically irrelevant since and his mouth hasn't stopped running...no pun intended.