Big Fish: Stanton Deal Shows Marlins Mean Business

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by markaz, Nov 18, 2014.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Giancarlo Stanton trusts the Marlins. Maybe you should too.

Two years after being shocked by his team tearing down the core of the supposed contender it had built to move into Marlins Park, Stanton is committing at least the next six years -- including four years when he could have had his pick of any team in baseball -- to stick with Jeffrey Loria, David Samson, Mike Hill, Dan Jennings, Mike Redmond and his teammates on the Marlins' surprisingly competitive 2014 team.

Sure, Stanton is also getting the biggest contract in professional sports history -- a 13-year, $325 million megadeal that comes along with a full no-trade clause and a contingency for him to opt out of it after six years. But baseball's best young slugger was going to get very, very rich one way or another in the near future. [More]

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/10171...-stanton-contract-shows-marlins-mean-business

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

And I thought A-Rod's contract was the most ridiculous. Good luck with that, Miami.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Yep, this contract could strangle this organization for many years. It's my understanding that every penny of it is guaranteed with no team options and a no trade clause for Stanton?

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

if looking stupid by giving a player the most asinine contract ever "means business" the marlins hit a homerun with this.

5. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

A 450 foot + home run. Marlins aren't going to contend. He could have went somewhere else and joined a winner, for quite a bit less money I imagine but he took the money to keep on losing. Don't blame him one bit, I'd do the same thing. $325 mil? Daaaamn

6. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Long contracts for gazillions of dollars never work out. Ask the Rangers and the Yankees about A-Roid's deal.

7. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Just read that the deal is backloaded heavily:

ESPN