Booster Red McCombs bashes Texas for Charlie Strong hire

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

Source: Continue Reading

2. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

He wanted Gruden. Said if UT had hired Gruden, UT would have 1 or 2 national championships within 5 years.

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Red can suck it. Senile old man

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

He just doesnt like the darkies.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Yeah well Gruden would be a freaking trainwreck in college, IMO

6. ragman

Apparently, lots of money doesn't give you lots of smarts.

7. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Thanks, Mr. McCombs, for reminding us that racism is alive and well in the deep South.

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

If he wants Muschamp back he can freaking have him.

TheSnowman likes this.
  9. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I second that motion, Mush.

Unfortunately Jeremy Foley insists on showing us all that Muschamp can coach.

10. ragman

Well, they knew when they hired him what kind of person he is. He's not going to schmooze with the boosters. He just isn't.