Browns Not Ready To Name QB Brandon Weeden As Starter

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski still isn’t ready to name a starting quarterback, but he’s pleased with what he saw Thursday night from Brandon Weeden during Cleveland’s 24-6 win over the Detroit Lions in the second preseason game.

Weeden completed 8-of-12 passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns, posting a passer rating of 137.8. He connected with tight end Jordan Cameron for touchdowns of 10 and 5 yards.

“I’m still going to wait to name a starter,†Chudzinski said today during a conference call. “To me, this process is important. We’ll go through that, and when we complete the process, then we’ll name a starter.

“His performance, he was really good overall. He led, I think, three scoring drives we had with him. [He made] a number of good throws. Certainly there’s some things he can improve on that we’re going to go through the film with him.â€

Weeden, the 22nd overall pick in last year’s draft, also had a stellar preseason opener last week in a 27-19 win over the Rams, completing 10-of-13 passes for 112 yards and a touchdown for a passer rating of 127.7

But Chudzinksi saw some improvement from the first game to the second one that isn’t necessarily reflected in the box score.

“I thought that he really was throwing accurate balls out there,†Chudzinski said. “He did that in the first game as well, but he really had some nice throws there [against the Lions]. And then I think he had to move around in the pocket a little bit more. The rush was coming a little bit harder this week, so I think that was good for him as well to experience that.â€

Source: Akron Beacon Journal