Change Next Month To The Member Awards

Discussion in 'Site News' started by SRW, Sep 29, 2007.

1. The CO2

The CO2 Don't pray, just play!

You do have a very good point.

2. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Of all the arguments that I have heard so far this brings up a very good point and one I didn't think of. Sometimes you need other people's opinions.

3. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Wait, I told you this very thing Steve. :wtf1: :icon_cheesygrin:

4. SRW

I thought you were referring to people voting for themselves. Not that you didn't make good points either in the thread in the Staff forum.

EDIT:

Yeah you did make that point too now that I look back. Sorry for not crediting you as well.

5. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Haha, it's ok. I was just giving you crap. He said it better then I did.

6. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

Im with TD on this one...

7. tstlkevanilla

tstlkevanilla Pro Bowler

Definitely agree with this post..
    D'oh.. I think I may have missed that point as well.

8. SRW

After giving it further thought I have gone ahead and amended the changes to just one. I have edited the first post to reflect the only change that will take place. Thank you to the members who gave me their feedback on this. Sometimes you just need a different opinion to steer you in the right direction.

9. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

You mean we can vote for ourselves again? :doh:

10. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

BUMP.....This is still going on, to me it shows a complete lack of clbutt. Shouldn't it be up to everyone else to judge how much you contibute or what have you instead of nominating yourself for an award?

Then the next issue would be someone nominating a person in which they have no buisness being nominated for. (Walnuts nomination of Dougerrr for the Pimp award)among many others. The awards for the most part have turned into a joke (even though I like the idea) and will continue to be more than likely until some rules are tweaked to fix the problem. I still like the scenario where the mods and admins get together and do the nominations and allow the members to vote on those selected. It just gives the whole idea more credibility.:2cents:

11. Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar English Student.

Make it so only moderators can nominate. They should get together (virtually not literally) for 10 minutes every month and decide between them who the nominees should be.

12. SRW

People like Walnuts try to make the awards a joke and might end up taking the nominating process out of members hands. I am thinking of either making it where only moderators can nominate people and even where only VIP members can vote, that way we don't see a rush of people registering simply to vote.

13. dolphindude13

At this point I definitely think a change is in order. What should be a fun way to get members involved has just become a mad barrage of people nominating anyone and everyone for reasons only they could possibly know and are in no way deserving of that award.

14. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

ha ah - didn't know you could vote for yourself!

15. SRW

It cracks me up when threads for the Donovan McNabb award become a pissing contest where someone gets offended they got nominated to they nominate the person who nominated them right away.

Walnuts though is just being stupid and he's single handedly tried to ruin the voting each month, I guess he just needs to be the "I'm too cool for the room" guy.

16. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

Whatever happened to the awards with the x2 and x3 next to them when we had phpBB? It prob'ly look a bit neater with people that have 10+ awards...

17. dolphindude13

I don't really have that big of a problem voting for yourself......It's the nominating yourself for the award which screams "lack of class". If someone else nominated you then you should feel free to vote for yourself......I'm sure President-elects don't vote for the other guy!:icon_cheesygrin:

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I'm not trying to ruin anything, just trying to inject a little humor and lightness into something you guys take way too seriously. Plus, it's not like any of my nominations have made a difference in the final voting anyway, so why get so uptight about it?

19. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Well why not nominate someone who is actually deserving? It's not that we take it serious but members enjoy the awards so why heck it up for them?

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I'm not freaking anything up for anybody except DolphinDude who seems to have taken exception with it. As I said, none of the "less-than-serious" nominations I have made (and they don't all fall into that category) have affected any final voting, so why worry about it?
    The only problem I see potentially affecting the voting is, as SRW pointed out earlier, an influx of people registering just in order to vote for whoever asked them to do so. I wasn't aware of that problem until he mentioned it, but other than that, it's members voting for members and nobody is going to vote for someone they think is less than deserving, so I don't see how throwing an off-the-wall nomination out is a problem for anyone or takes anything away from the process.