College football’s final four and the ever-increasing meaninglessness of the conference championship

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Talk' started by SportsChump, Dec 2, 2016.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Certain unanswerable questions have plagued us since the dawn of humanity. Where did we all come from? Did mankind start with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden or did we evolve from a “big bang” of another sort? How can we find renewable energy sources to sustain life on this planet, why can’t we all just get along and why can’t Dwight Howard make a free throw?

These issues have had us scratching our heads forever… or at least since Dwight first picked up a basketball.

Another issue continues to confound us all with even the brightest among us unable to come up with an answer. How do we determine our national champion?

Carry on at: http://sportschump.net/2016/12/02/c...eaninglessness-conference-championship/18314/

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

I don't want to whine too much, but penn state should be in the final four.

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I think the loss to Michigan did PSU in.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

why would that do them in ?

they beat out Washington (and OSU for that matter) in pretty much every meaningful ranking stat. my cynical mind leads me to believe that the selection group didn't want 3 big ten teams in the final four.

plus I have no doubt there is still some angst against PSU over the Sandusky scandal. that would suck if true, because these kids and this school admin had nothing to do with any of that.

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

They have 2 losses. To Pitt and Michigan. That's why they are not in the Final Four.

Until the teams are expanded to a field of 8 instead of 4, someone's always going to be on the outside looking in.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

really ? you don't say.

the issue is the ncaa still has its head up its curmudgeon ass.

head to head and winning won the toughest division and toughest conference mean nothing.

and again, washington's schedule was a cake walk with that garbage pac 12.

7. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I get why voters put Ohio State in (Urban Meyer). It's that they looked at the "entire body of work" (bullshit) and determined they were the better team (money talks).

Regardless, the system is flawed and needs to be fixed so that conference championships mean something other than a pat on the back and a thanks for playing.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

I agree, having a playoff of any kind is a start, but the system certainly still needs some, umm, tweaks.

at the very least, make it the top 6 teams, with the top 2 getting a 1st week bye in the playoff.