Controversial Chargers Doctor David Chao Steps Down

Discussion in 'San Diego Chargers' started by SRW, Jun 15, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Chargers team doctor who had the support of many veteran players amid recent years of controversy announced Thursday he has chosen to step down from his position after 17 seasons with the team, citing health and family reasons, Michael Gehlken of UT San Diego reports.

David Chao, 49, performed 204 surgeries on Chargers players in the past 10 years, he said in a phone interview, but called it time to devote his attention to his wife and three children, including two 7-month-old twins, and a back injury that will require surgery this month.

Christopher Wahl, chief of sports medicine at the UC San Diego Health System, was named Chao’s replacement.

Chao said he took multiple epidurals while traveling with the team last season to deal with back pain. Planning to continue his private practice at OASIS, he described his tenure with the Chargers as “the greatest time of my life.â€

“At that point in time, I wouldn’t trade it for the world,†Chao said. “I also wouldn’t trade what I’m about to embark on now for the world. … Today is about thanking the Chargers for the time, thanking all the players and coaches for allowing me to enter their special world.â€

Source: The Redzone