Cowboys Cut Terrell Owens To Let Tony Romo Lead

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by SRW, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Terrell Owens' popularity in the Cowboys locker room is precisely why he was asked to clear out his belongings. Team executive vice president Stephen Jones said Thursday that he and his father came to this conclusion: For the team's highly paid quarterback to become a truly influential leader, the big man on campus had to be jettisoned. "It's hard to take over leadership when you've got a strong personality like Terrell," Jones said. "If you look back at our old teams [from the 1990s], a lot of people would say maybe Michael [Irvin] was the leader. Then you might say, 'He was a receiver. What about Troy [Aikman]? He was the quarterback. Wasn't he the leader' And the answer is, yeah, Troy was a leader. But if Michael wasn't supportive of him, Troy would've had problems."

Source: Yahoo! Sports

2. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

stupid move
    cut a really really good reciever in hopes that our QB can become a leader
    the front office is freaking goobered

3. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Thats bull it makes no sense.Westbrook is liked in the locker room so lets cut him so mcnabb could lead alone.They seemed to get along when they were on tv.

4. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

good for them

5. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

so this is what, the third reason why TO was cut. just more BS spewed by the jones'

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Pretty much

Why even give a reason? You cut him, it doesnt matter why, he's a Bill now.

Move on

7. davematthews3

davematthews3 1st Stringer

Maybe they saw what happened with the Giants when Tiki and Shock weren't bothering Eli

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

A leader is a leader no matter what or who the heck is in the locker room. Who will they cut next season if the Cowboys win one playoff game and get knocked out? What if they don't make the playoffs this season? Cut Witten? Barber?

9. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

No doubt. This would be the worst reason ever to cut a player. The QB needs to be the most popular player?

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I swear to God, every week I see a headline about Jerry giving an explanation about the T.O. release. Sounds to me that he's just trying to convince himself that he did the right thing :icon_rolleyes:

11. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Rhomo as a leader... LOL.

Epic fail.

12. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

My thoughts exactly. Im tired of hearing it..How about you cut him cuz TO is a selfish pr**k? Romo the homo will never be anything BUT THAT..A HOMO. Hes not THAT good, and wont ever be THAT good. Cmon, how do u heck up a snap to win a playoff game? That whole team isnt THAT good..When romo went out with the broken pinky, they barely did anything in the games with brad johnson. granted it was johnson tho.... TO was not the problem in dallas, and as it was already put, Jones just needs to reassure himself constantly that he did the right thing. LOL

:icon_rolleyes:

13. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

:icon_rolleyes:

14. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

I just know he still hasn't convinced ME it was the right thing. (it wasn't)

15. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

exactly!!!!!!!.............nothing but excuses.........Irvin was as brash as TO but Troy knew how to control him and his ego