Cox Bundle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by markaz, May 6, 2014.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

So I open my Cox bill last evening and called 911. Cox just raised my monthly extortion from $134.56 to $175.15. So what do I get for that? Digital telephone, high speed internet and BASIC cable (no HD, no movies, etc.). The only thing that is absolutely critical to me is the internet.

I just got done dumping Verizon because I got tired of paying for crap I don't use...text messaging and the like...and thinking of doing a cheapy prepaid because I don't use a cell for anything other than convenience and to have with me in case of an emergency. I know @Steve12 recently got DirectTV and am curious if that's a viable alternative.

Other than living in a cave, I'm open to suggestions on changing services and wondering how my fellow Giffers are combining services to bring this to a manageable level.

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I don't even remember what I pay for my directv. I thought my movie channels was only a 3 month trial, but it's going on 5 months now and I still have them. I should probably look at my bill.

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

@Steve12 They won't cancel them. They'll just charge you for them.

Damn @markaz that's insane but I pay about 150 for DTV. I've got three receivers. HD in all rooms and whole room DVR on demand and HBO.

markaz likes this.
  4. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

I got a COX bundle you might like.......

markaz and Buck Fenson like this.
  5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I pay 50 bucks a month for internet (through my local electric co-op) and 40 for cell phone service (Verizon w/unlimited everything) and thats it. I see no point in paying for cable anymore when everything is basically instantaneously available on the internet, and I see no point in a landline either with the current state of the cellular telephone. Thats how I roll.

[​IMG]

markaz likes this.
  6. Omen

I'd don't have a landline either and I'd scrap my dish but the kids and wife would mutiny.

7. markaz

Thanks, @Kurt. I appreciate the offer, but I'm very suspicious of things that come in small packages.

Steve12 and Omen like this.
  8. markaz

How in the hell did you arrange for that? I dumped Verizon the day I took a close look at my bill and saw that I was being charged for checking and listening to voicemails. Great service, but shyt, seems like I was charged for turning the phuquing thing on.
    Anybody use DSL instead of cable? May be a little slower but Century Link's DSL is far cheaper than Cocks cable.

9. markaz

So if you scrapped your dish what would you use for television?

10. markaz

So now that you've had it for 5 months, how do you like it?

11. Omen

I'd use my iPad and Xbox to watch what I need now.

markaz likes this.
  12. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I like it a lot. Dvr holds a ton of crap and the guide is way better than Comcast that I had before.

Omen and markaz like this.
  13. smeags

smeags militant geek

buuuuuuurn

Omen likes this.
  14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

D
    Ive somehow been grandfathered in, the first smartphone I got...6? ish?...years ago, I got their 39.99 unlimited calls data and texts plan and Ive been on it since. Every time I upgrade my phone I make sure to check that they are letting me keep that and so far it hasn't been an issue (knock on wood). I am up for an upgrade here at the end of the month so we'll see if it continues. Although I have been thinking about dumping the smartphone entirely and going back to the old school.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

I had that $39.99 deal too up until my last upgrade last year...they took it away...I whined a little bit, but got tired of trying to fight it...

16. Omen

I basically pay the slightly more than that but I have 4 phones and pay 200. Unlimited data, text and min.

17. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I think I could probably get away with a different plan now, I dont call or text a ton these days, and my data usage, while high, is now usually over wireless...but there's something about the idea of them still having to give me that unlimited service for a fraction of what they currently charge for it that makes it hard to give it up.

Omen and 86WARD like this.
  18. 86WARD

86WARD -

I agree with that 100%...

I think the reason I gave it up at the time was that the data usage at double what I used to use was only a couple dollars more, so I stopped fighting about it...

19. markaz

Nice.
    I had two line, two regular phones, 400 min/month and XXX amount of texts all for the bargain price of $89/mo. The fun began with all the little extras like if I never texted once but people texted me it was like $1.25/text over something like 50 texts. Add to that the fee for listening to voicemails and it was see ya. If I had an unlimited plan like you I'd fight to the death for it. Toyed with the idea of getting a Smartphone as an upgrade once, but realistically I used it to talk and nothing more.

Looks like it's time for a cheapy pre-paid plan.