Cubs Vs. White Sox In October?

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by WC Jerome, Jun 16, 2008.

1. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

That way we can shove it up ESPNs butt too.

2. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

I think everyone agrees that the media would cream their pants if this happened. Hell, they would cream their pants if just the Cubs made the World Series. I think what smeagle was trying to say is that no one outside of Chicago would be nearly as excited about this or see it as the big deal the media would make it out to be.

3. DaBearsrule4ever

The media makes everything a big deal. Whats the point?

4. WC Jerome

WC Jerome The poster formerly known as 'MK'!!

If that is the case, you could say that about any World Series that didn't involve the hometown of those fans. I'm pretty sure that not many people outside of Boston and Denver cared that much about last year's fall classic, either.

5. DaBearsrule4ever

How true, how true.

Rep for that.

6. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

:icon_rolleyes:

That's the point exactly. Except in this case, the media would make it out to be more special than World Series such as last year's, when in reality, to the people outside of Chicago, it isn't.

7. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

o ok i see

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

why not ?

because it's been 100 freaking seasons since we've had a parade dammit !!!! :icon_evil:

9. WC Jerome

WC Jerome The poster formerly known as 'MK'!!

That is not entirely true. When Boston shocked the Yankees and the rest of the world in 2004, en route to their 1st championship in 86 years, I was totally into their entire run. I couldn't tear myself away. And I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one outside of Boston that fealt that way.

I think the same would apply if the Cubs and White Sox met in October. Just like the Red Sox, there are Cub fans all over the country. If you don't think that a potential fall version of the Crosstown Classic wouldn't draw plenty of interest from coast-to-caost, you are very sadly mistaken.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

the ratings say differently. if the phillies and the angels made it you'd (2) of the top (5) markets involved which would produce better ratings than two teams from the same market even if it did include the cubs.

11. DaBearsrule4ever

I too was into the Red Sox run in 2004 but not the case in 2007. That 2004 ALCS (cover your ears Yankees fans) was priceless when the Red Sox came from the dead to win that series.

Generations have come and gone since then. If the Cubs did win the world series, I would be happy for one reason and one reason only. I have quite a few friends that are Cubs fans.

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

just to be clear - i am not in any shape or form saying the ratings would suck if the wsox & cubs met, just saying they would be better if you had philly & la playing. that said this list here should strike up some debate as it kind of proves we are all kind of right.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

13. DaBearsrule4ever

Atleast the 2005 White Sox/Astros World Series isn't the lowest rated anymore. That honor goes to the 2006 Cardinals/Tigers World Series, lol.

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

look at the ratings before the strike compared to after.

15. DaBearsrule4ever

Three years of ratings in the 30's, for the most part it was in the 20's before the strike shortened season.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

yep, baseball really hurt itself with that strike and not having a series in 94.

17. DaBearsrule4ever

Yup...