Darrelle Revis Says He Will Be Fine To Play For The Buccaneers

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by buccaneersonnie, May 20, 2013.

1. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are paying Darrelle Revis a lot of money to be a shutdown corner. Can he make an immediate return to his prior form? In the latest installment of her series documenting Revis' recovery process from reconstructive knee surgery, NFL Network's Andrea Kremer asked Revis if he expects to be the same player when he debuts as the centerpiece of Greg Schiano's defense.

"The first time I step out there, I'll be fine," Revis said during a segment that will air Monday on "NFL Total Access."

Schiano was asked if he's preparing under the impression he'll have Revis at the height of his powers. Revis now can cut and change directions in drills as his rehab remains on schedule. The next step is reading and reacting to an opponent on the field. Todd Toriscelli, the Bucs' director of sports medicine and performance, said the plan is to continue building Revis' speed and strength through June. If all goes according to plan, Revis can use July to start training himself "to play football."

"I call it just getting ready for Week 1," Revis replied. "It doesn't matter if it's the Jets, the Bills, it doesn't matter who it is. We go to go out there and play as a team and win."

"That's how we're planning," Schiano told Kremer. "I mean, we have faith that he's gonna recover. And look, if it isn't exactly that way right away, then we'll adapt; 85 or 90 percent of Darrelle Revis is still better than most 100 percent other corners, right?"