Doug Marrone Says New Bills QB EJ Manuel Needs 'To Work On The Footwork'

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by SRW, May 11, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

EJ Manuel took the field Friday on the first day of Buffalo’s rookie minicamp, and the Bills got to work trying to correct mechanical issues in his game—most notably his footwork.

Coach Doug Marrone wasn't in position to award Manuel the starting job when the Bills drafted him in the first round out of Florida State two weeks ago. And the coach certainly didn't have a change of heart after keeping a close eye on the quarterback Friday.

"It's what I expected," Marrone said. "I didn't think he'd come in here and be the polished guy."

After crediting Manuel for making some "nice throws," Marrone also noted the quarterback needs help with his footwork and mechanics. And Manuel acknowledged that he received plenty of coaching on his footwork Friday.

"I think that was one of the biggest things we worked on today,â€￾ he said via the team’s website. “I'm sure we'll continue to work on (that) up into the pocket and things like that. And do it how (offensive coordinator Nathaniel) Hackett wants me to do it."

Source: Sporting News