Driver Hit By Tony Stewart Dies

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by markaz, Aug 10, 2014.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

According to multiple reports, NASCAR driver Tony Stewart struck and killed a fellow dirt-track driver during a race Saturday night in New York. The Ontario County Sheriff's Department did not identify the driver but said he was pronounced dead on arrival.
    The Associated Press says Stewart and the driver were involved in a crash on a previous lap at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park, according to a witness. The man was walking on the track when he was hit and thrown a "great distance."

The track canceled all racing events for the rest of the night.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/ey...es-investigating-crash-involving-tony-stewart

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Woah. I wonder why he was walking on the track.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I hate to burst anyone's bubble or for those concerned, it wasn't me. But RIP to a fellow Ward.

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

His car had broken down due to crash. Many say he was hit intentionaly. From the video it looks like tony deliberately maneuvers towards ward.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

It looks like he maneuvers in that direction after he hits him.

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Holy crap man that is some crazy stuff. It looks like Tony thought ward was going to keep walking down the track so he was trying to go to his outside. Idk though man.

I guess Tony is still going to race today. It'll be interesting to see what they say about it in the broadcast.

7. Steve12

8. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

It's apparent he was pissed and was pointing Stewart out. I wonder if Stewart was "retaliating" for being pointed at by Ward and thought he'd put the fear of God into Ward with a real close drive by.:dunno: Steve12 is right..you can hear Stewart punch it. Just guessin' Stewart is in a world of crap for this one.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  9. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Holy duck.

10. Steve12

Yep that's kinda what I'm thinking after reading what people who were there said, and watching the video a couple times. Looks life he maybe just forgot how wide the rear wheel base is. He hasn't been back driving sprint cars that long.

Kinda crazy that Tony is going to race today, right? Idk if I could if I just killed a guy.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  11. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I couldn't do it either. I think NASCAR is going to have to tell Tony to sit today's race out.

12. Steve12

They just announced on sportscenter that Tony won't be driving today. Regan Smith is going to take his place.

13. ragman

That's good to hear. I don't know who made the final decision, Stewart or NASCAR, but I think it's a prudent one.

14. Steve12

Going strictly by what they said in the press conference, NASCAR had no say in it. I guess the Stewart-Haas execs got together with Stewart and decided he shouldn't race.

15. ragman

Good move on their part. He has to sit this one out of respect for the grieving family.

16. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I don't think tony will be racing for a while at least until an investigation is made. I read that the local police dept is getting involved

17. Steve12

I'm wondering if he'll ever race again. He better hope he doesn't get voluntary manslaughter charges. That video doesn't do him any favors.

18. ragman

Heard this morning that an investigation is under way. Keep in mind that an investigation and a criminal investigation are two different things. At least, I think they are different.

Stewart's reputation as a hothead doesn't help him either.

19. Steve12

I think that reputation is more from his younger days. He hasn't been that way for a while.

although this is his third bad incident during a Sprint car race recently.

20. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Oh wow, I had heard about this but this is the first time I've seen it on video. It is really hard to see exactly what Stewart saw in his car from that angle. The car in front of Stewart wasn't that far ahead of him so maybe he couldn't see the guy til it was too late. I'm a huge Stewart fan and I want to believe that this was an accident and not on purpose. That guy should not have gone that far out on the track but in the end it's a terrible tragedy. RIP Kevin Ward Jr.

Really need to see a camera angle in front of Stewart's car and behind it to see the accident better.

86WARD and Steve12 like this.