Ex-Saints DT Anthony Hargrove Denies Bounty On 2010 Hit Of Brett Favre

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Anthony Hargrove, whose name was mentioned in connection with the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, released a statement insisting that he was not paid for a late hit on Brett Favre during the 2009 NFC championship game. Hargrove, a defensive tackle now with the Seattle Seahawks, was fined $5,000 for the late hit by the NFL. A story by Peter King of Sports Illustrated stated that Hargrove was overheard during that game saying, "Favre is out of the game! Favre is done! Favre is done!" after the then-Vikings quarterback sprained an ankle. In a statement to Sports Illustrated, Hargrove said his reaction had nothing to do with receiving a possible bounty payment. "I agree it was a late hit, but in the heat of the moment I was simply trying to make a play," Hargrove said in part in the statement to Sports Illustrated. "To put things in perspective, I received a game ball for my play that day and yet got fined while receiving nothing and expecting to receive nothing for the play some keep referencing. "In regards to my comments that have been talked about where I say that Favre is done, I readily agree that it sounds bad in retrospect. But did I personally want Favre INJURED? Absolutely categorically NO! Did I feel like we, the Saints, had a better chance of being in the Super Bowl with Favre on the sideline? Of course. I do regret saying it though. "I have made many mistakes in my life and have paid dearly for some of them, and the late hit and the comments were both mistakes, in my opinion. But players all over the league do the same thing every Sunday, make late hits and do stupid things. But I can say with absolute certainty that neither the late hit nor the comment have anything whatsoever to do with the issue being so hotly discussed in the media." Hargrove will soon find out if the NFL believes he was involved in the bounty scandal, and if so, how much it will cost him.

Source: Sporting News

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Except for the 10 grand vilma gave him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk