Fact Or Fiction Is Back

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by PSID412USM, Jul 26, 2013.

1. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

[​IMG]
    Jerry and Jason joy at being involved with Fact or Fiction!

FACT OR FICTION?

It’s time once again for some fact or fiction. First off thank you all for such positive reviews of the first edition I was seriously worried it would be hated by yeah you like us! So now onto the question

1 With 2 games being played there this season and Khan buying Fulham a London based soccer/football team! We will see an NFL franchise within London inside 10 years?

Rich
    Fiction

I honestly do believe Roger Goodell wants nothing more than to get a team over there, but I don't see the league adding any teams any time soon (and they shouldn't) and LA is clearly a bigger priority for the new future. Is it possible two teams re-locate? Sure. But I doubt it. The other side of that is the serious inconvenience it presents the league in terms of logistics. And most importantly, I think the league has to realize what a competitive disadvantage that team would be, given you're not going to find many free agents (that are worth a damn) willing to sign up for that nightmare. It just isn't truly feasible.

Insane
    Fiction

While the idea seems nice, I don't think we'll see a team move there or be based there within the next 10 years, if ever. NFL Europa was a nice test for the NFL to see how Europe would react, and needless to say it wasn't a big hit. That's not to say holding a game or two there each season isn't a big hit, but the fact that teams would have to travel to Europe and back, as well as from Europe to the United States and back, it just makes things a little too complicated

2. The NFL has too many preseason games?

Rich
    Fact

I'm going fact on this one even though I reside more in the middle as far as my personal opinion is concerned. There is certainly good and bad to the schedule as it is, but I think if they even cut it down to 3 (not including the teams that play the HOF game--although, why do they need an extra game for that anyway???) they would still retain the benefits while slightly outweighing the cons to it. Obviously, for revenue's sake, the NFL wants that 4th game but it's pretty pointless. There aren't many scrubs that are going to make a team with a stellar preseason week 4 performance and that's undoubtedly the major pro of having so many preseason games: to evaluate talent. But 4 does present a serious injury risk that I find mostly not worth it.

Insane
    Fact & Fiction

Yes and No. As fans we want to see the teams play meaningful football, and players certainly don't want to get hurt during meaningless football games. However, preseason is good to observe players trying to make teams, as well as getting players back into the groove of hitting. As a fan and player, the answer is more than likely yes, but from a personnel stand point, no.

3. This year Offensive and Defensive rookie of the year will come from outside of round 1

Rich
    Fiction

I think that there's a chance it happens, certainly. But the odds are substantially less than they normally would be seeing as there isn't a star rookie QB coming into the league this season. In fact, off the top of my hand, there is no impact players that just jump out at me from the first round on the offensive side of the ball (not to say there isn't any, but none jump out at me). Obviously, a ton of the offensive first round picks were lineman, and they aren't as flashy as some of their cohorts.

Insane
    Fiction

It's always tough to predict where they will come from, as you've seen many stars come from even after the third rounds. Defensively I think a first round pick, such as D.J. Hayden has a very good chance to claim the award, but offensively a guy like Eddie Lacy who the Packers stole in round 2 could easily get it offensively.

4.With a Federal case hanging over his head the NFL forces will force Browns owner Jimmy Haslam to sell the team?

Rich
    Fact

I think the odds of this are actually pretty high, honestly. The odds are substantially more than they normally would be seeing as there isn't a star rookie QB coming into the league this season. In fact, off the top of my hand, there are no impact players that just jump out at me from the first round on the offensive side of the ball (not to say there isn't any, but none jump out at me). Obviously, a ton of the offensive first round picks were lineman, but they aren't as flashy as some of their cohorts. I guess it's possible for a rookie receiver (were there even any first round backs taken?!) to win the offensive rookie of the year, but I even find that highly unlikely.

Insane
    Fiction

Unless he's found guilty, odds are the NFL will do nothing to him, as it doesn't involve the Browns, but rather the business he owns. Granted, the NFL and owners don't like to be put in a bad spotlight, but this shouldn't be enough to sell the team. If anything, he would probably turn it over to one of the family members who has stake in the team.

5. Jason Garrett really is coaching for his job this season despite what Jerry says?

Rich
    Fact

I don't get why this even keeps coming up. Look, no owner is going to go into a season with high hopes and say "if this guy doesn't do well, he's fired." Why even do it? Regardless, while Garrett is definitely a Jerry Jones guy through and through, Jerry isn't a patient man (nor should he be at this point). He wants results, regardless of what anybody may think of the guy. Garrett had better find a way to make some noise in the playoffs one way or another if he wants to remain the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, however, because time is ticking on a large portion of the core of this team.

Insane
    Fact

There's no way Garrett isn't coaching for his job this season. The Cowboys haven't been exactly horrible with him, but needless to say they haven't been winners either. Garrett will need to show something to Jones in order for him to earn his place with the team.

So there you have it folks the second edition. I would to give a thank you to DaBears 22 for the Garrett question and I would also like to say please leave us feedback good and bad we don’t mind maybe a thumbs up if you want but we be back next time for more questions till then this is PSID412USM saying seeya folks!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

OH SHEIT, I MISREAD THE QUESTION ABOUT ROOKIES OF THE YEAR. life sucks.

3. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Cant' believe I haven't seen a Faction...

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

5. (Fiction) Jerry Jones needs to "LET" his coaches actually coach instead of making them do and say what he wants. Garrett isn't coaching for his job IMO, he's handling the team like Jones wants him to do....Parcells and Jimmy Johnson he isn't....I LOVE IT...hehehehe

5. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I disagree sweets I don't think Jason handles things like JJ wants.

JJ likesbt to makes big entrances and splashes while a garret lie to keep things under wraps.

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Really good stuff guys. Cant wait for the next one.

7. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

NFL team in Europe is a pipe dream of Goodell. Rich made a good point about what worthy FAs would want to sign with a London team. I assure you a lot of them wouldn't even like the idea of signing with a (would-be) canadian team, let alone an european one.

8. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Good job...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  9. 86WARD

86WARD -

More good work!!! Thanks for contributing!

10. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Only way a team overseas works is if the NFL expands and they can support an entire European division. 4-5 teams tops. Put one in England, one in Ireland, one in Germany and the last one or two to another of the top drawing World League cities. But just displacing one team over there will be a nightmare.

11. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

^^This^^

You'd need to drum up a 'competition' with a block of Euro teams that promote home team fans otherwise it would just seem like an relocated American product.

Most Europeans don't think too highly of us as it is... :icon_smile:

12. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

They don't want a second hand farm team, they will support the real deal. I truly think there is a strong market out there but it has to be done right to capitalize.

13. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

1. Despite what JJ says, I think that if JG doesn't take the Cowboys into a playoff run this year, he's toast. The only thing that I can think of that might save him is a lot of injuries like the defense had in 2012.

2. I just can't see the NFL having a team in Europe any time soon. The travel logistics would be a nightmare.

14. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I agree with those who say Jason Garrett IS coaching for his job in 2013. While I agree that Jerry Jones needs to just stay in the background, the Cowboys have had a game week 17 where if they win and they are NFC East Champs the last two seasons and have failed both games. Anything less of the playoffs will cost Garrett his job but then again, the Cowboys may need to win atleast one playoff game for Garrett to save his job. You never know with Jerry Jones.

15. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Jerry Jones stay in the background? You're kidding, right? That will NEVER happen.

16. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Yes, I was kidding and am well aware that will never happen as long as Jerry Jones signs the paychecks for the Cowboys. :icon_rolleyes: