Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez May Return For More Money

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by SRW, Mar 10, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The NFL watched Tony Gonzalez played in 2012 under the impression that the future Hall of Famer was set to retire upon the season's completion. While he still hasn't decided what to do regarding his future, the 37-year-old appears to be leaning towards adding one final chapter to his illustrious career.

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reported the Falcons tight end would likely return for another season if Atlanta gives him enough money and allows him to miss training camp for the upcoming year.

"He will come back if they pay him $7 million and he doesn't have to do training camp," said one Falcons player familiar with Gonzalez's thinking.

As Silver notes, one team official said both stipulations shouldn't be an issue. Gonzalez was paid a base salary of $3.9 million last year, along with a $1 million roster bonus. Owen Daniels will receive a base of $4 million for 2013, just as a comparison.

"The money is there," a source close to Gonzalez said. "Working out the days he can miss is the biggest holdup."

Source: SBNation.com

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Let him walk if he wants even more money and trying to miss training camp. There is some talent to be had with free agent tight ends right now.

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I'd lose a tiny bit of respect for the guy if he comes back for a contract. He should be financially set at this point. If you want to come back for the challenge and get a ring, sure. But don't play the "i want money" game.

4. SRW

How about the same salary and no camp?

5. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I'm sure the Browns can use a TE.

6. SRW

Apparently the Browns can use everyone who is a free agent.

7. diesel

diesel HERE COMES THE BOOM!!!

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000149889/
    The Atlanta Falcons kept working on changing tight end Tony Gonzalez's mind, whittling away at the "95% chance" that he was going to retire. All that work has paid off.Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Tuesday that Gonzalez has informed the Falconsthat he is coming back, and the two sides are working on a new contract. Gonzalez later confirmed via Twitter he'll be returning next season."After discussing it with my family and really, truly struggling with this decision I informed the Falcons I would like to return for one more shot," Gonzalez told Glazer.Gonzo is the best tight end available in adeep market, but he doesn't sound interested in shopping his wares to other teams. The Falcons should be prepared for this moment; they have created salary-cap room by releasing veterans like Dunta Robinson, John Abraham and Michael Turner. Gonzalez is older than all of them, but he's also playing at a Pro Bowl level.The Falcons' offense still could use a running back, but their passing game should remain dynamic with Gonzalez sandwiched between wide receivers Julio Jones and Roddy White. A deal is never "done" until the ink is dry, but it would be very surprising if the Falcons can't close a deal quickly."It's great -- for Atlanta and for the NFL,"Falcons owner Arthur Blank told NFL.com's Steve Wyche.Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Looks like that answers where
    Steven Jackson is going also...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Draft Sharks says that he is coming back with Atl.